lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-06-2009, 05:57 PM   #1
richardd
Not Yet Wild

Default 97 with strange blow back problem

I have a 97 OHV engine Serial # of the cart is AF9741-614250 and the engine number is FA290D-S10. I acquired this cart with others in a lot of 6 carts. The strange problem I have is that I am registering 180 psi compression but when the cart is running, I get an awful lot of blowback through the air intake system. When I place my hand over the intake it blows my hand away about as much as it sucks it in when running. Any ideas as to why this would be happening.
richardd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-06-2009, 09:56 PM   #2
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Default Re: 97 with strange blow back problem

Pull the valve cover and adjust the valve cearance to .004 both intake and exhaust. Do it cold.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:44 AM   #3
richardd
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply Crash. I will check the valves today. There is a new development. I pulled the carb and found there was no butterfly valve in the carb. I noticed the cart wanted to run full throttle when it ran. So I know that there needs to be a butterfly there. Could the blow by be related to not having a butterfly?

Would the valve clearance allow me to have good compression when cranking, but excessive blow by when running?

I have more experience with Yamaha G1's than Club Cars so any help is appreciated.

I acquired this cart along with 5 others in a group I purchased. So the history is unknown on them.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:45 PM   #4
crash12888
Gone Crazy

The throttle plate would restrict alot of the blow back. Is the screw still in the shaft?
Old 10-15-2009, 06:07 AM   #5
richardd
Not Yet Wild

The screws were still in the shaft. I found another butterfly from another carb and the shaft hole pattern matched, but I had to reduce the outside diameter a fraction to get it to work. I spoke to a cart mech and mentioned the butterfly being gone. Someone must have taken it out, but he said that sometimes they just disintegrate. Not sure I am understanding that. I now have throttle control and the blow back seems to have gone away a lot. I also adjusted the valves. They were set with a lot of clearance before I readjusted to .04. The cart seems to be running pretty good now. Thanks to all for the suggestions.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:40 AM   #6
crash12888
Gone Crazy

I've never seen one just disinagrate but that's not sayin Spock couldn't walk by and hit it with his Phaser!
Glad you got it worked out.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:05 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I have seen a few that swallowed the throttle plate .... well the screws atleast
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:38 AM   #8
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

The previous owner may have used the cart as a donor.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 05:16 AM   #9
richardd
Not Yet Wild

The cart was used by the company I work for as personal transportation around the facility. As it turns out, just before the cart quit running well, a couple of guys were seen "messing around" with it. At the time nobody thought anything of it. I suspect that one of them "needed" a good carb and stuck the one they screwed up on it. So the company got another cart and shoved this one off to the side when it wouldn't run well. After sitting several months, I acquired it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car