lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-29-2009, 01:17 PM   #1
farrbar
Not Yet Wild

Default Radio Set-Up in my Tomberlin E2 LE

I recently purchased a Tomberlin E2 LE and have been trying to decide what to do for a sound system. I ordered the Tomberlin rear seat, so I have some space under the back seat.

Here is what I have come up with so far, and I am interested in your thoughts:

1) I plan yto power the system via its own 12v battery. I don't want to tap into the batteries powering the motor, thus reducing run time or possibly creating other electrical issues.

I will probably mount the battery on the floor below the backseat inside a marine battery box (like you would see on a small fishing boat). These are weather resistant and can be purchased for under $15. (go to west marine or overtons web page and search "battery box").

I plan on having 2 ways to charge this extra battery: a) I will install a set of remote battery posts under the seat, and when I plug the cart in I will just throw my car trickle charger on these remote posts (thus, not having to crawl under the seat and open the battery box each time). b) In addition, I will also add a small 5 watt or 7.5 watt solar panel to the roof of the cart that will charge the battery. On sunny days I can just park outside to charge the radio.

My other option, would be to use a portable power pack, like this one. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=96157

The benefit to this would be the power inverter, but it would be more difficult to incorporate the solar, and it would not look as neat as a remotely mounted battery box.

2) As far as location of the head unit, I was thinking that I would mount it to the underside of the rear seat, just above the battery box. However, I would use a marine head unit that has a wired remote control, allowing me to dash mount a small control module that would adjust volume, track, station and input. In addition, I would run a cable to one of the glove boxes that would allow me to hook up an I pod.

The reason I think I want to remote mount is that I don't want to give up the little glove boxes. I want to save these for storage, insurance card, copies of local laws and the like.

3) Speakers - Here is where I really want input. I have heard mixed reviews on the roof mounted, center mounts that go on the front edge of roof. I was thinking about mounting a pair at the top of the rear roof posts, this would benefit front and rear passengers.

These are just my initial thoughts, but look forward to your comments. Thanks
farrbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-15-2010, 01:17 PM   #2
farrbar
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Radio Set-Up in my Tomberlin E2 LE

Ok, so I did most of what I planned, just skipped the Solar Panel. See attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cart Stereo 1.jpg (37.7 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg cart stereo 2.jpg (37.5 KB, 98 views)
Old 04-15-2010, 07:22 PM   #3
snookwheel
Not Yet Wild

Very nice! I've been thinking about adding some 'tunes' too.
snookwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:25 PM   #4
portland
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Looks really nice. Any pics of the speakers?
portland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:52 AM   #5
thiggins18
Not Yet Wild

Yeah I would like to see some pictures of the speaker setup also.

How did you mount the cd player? It looks like a marine enclose mounted to something. What did you mount it to?

Thanks
thiggins18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:58 PM   #6
farrbar
Not Yet Wild

the cd player was mounted to the bottom side of the rear seat using a marine enclosure. I put the speakers in a box built from mdf, and covered in black vinyl, to try to match seats. i'm out of town, so here is the only pic i have of speakers (tape was just until silicone used to hold speaker grill in place dried)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cart stereo 3.jpg (29.9 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg cart stereo 4.jpg (41.8 KB, 45 views)
Old 06-04-2010, 08:14 PM   #7
Aka1ceman
Not Yet Wild

There is a 12v converter on board. It supplies 12v to the cig lighter and ignition. Some have tapped into this to provide 12v for a radio.
Aka1ceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:18 AM   #8
Torey G
Not Yet Wild
Tomberlin

New to site. When you tap into the 12V, does it shut off the radio with the key switch, or are you installing a shut off switch too.
Torey G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:12 AM   #9
farrbar
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torey G View Post
New to site. When you tap into the 12V, does it shut off the radio with the key switch, or are you installing a shut off switch too.
I put in a toggle switch (see first picture, it is the thing circled in red)
Old 07-08-2010, 07:40 PM   #10
Torey G
Not Yet Wild
Tomberlin

Sorry only opened the back of the cart pic. Nice job.
Torey G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio, tomberlin
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin