lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-09-2014, 01:56 PM   #11
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: cheap clutch and hp mods?

The umax is in my cart with a clone right now. I have another cart with stock spring, I ran mine with a stock spring. It is longer and larger diameter wire. It seems to make it rev more up to maybe half way to top speed. It never runs slow like the stock spring at low throttle will it stays at 2500 or something. I would think it a great match for stock engine since the yamaha tend to have good torque and don't need real high rpm. Its not terrible to install, and its a stock yamaha part. Got mine from tntgolf. I held the sheave on with a 2x4 to get the key in and install it.

Plowmans really knows what is going on, he is highly recommended and has multiple springs to meet your needs. Is likely they will be harder to install. Personally I don't like them since the clutch was not made for that kind of pressure, but they do work if you use a spacer and good nut and hassle through the install. But that is only my opinion on any and all aftermarket springs. They are used because there is no easy way to beef up a stock yamaha primary, and that is where the real problem is, the big springs are a workaround. Be very careful with ebay springs and other unknown sources as some of them do not work well.

You can get a HD kevlar belt from CPP for around 50, that is what I use and its cogged, a nice belt for sure. If you are going cheap my suggestion is look up the stock length for your cart and most you can find a 1/16 wider in the same length (most yamaha are 1 3/16 wide stock) and find a cheaper one since carts are a low power application. Usually you can find them for 30 or something. The wider belt will sit higher in the secondary and give a lower gear for climbing and towing/etc....like a cut sheave does, I have a cut sheave and HD belt on my clone. Another point here is if your sheaves are worn a wider belt makes up for the missing sheave surface. They don't shift right when worn, so the belt helps.

Decking/porting the head and maybe shimming the valve springs should help a stock engine some. In my experience I would not bother to do anything other than tuning the carb and doing a tuneup. I tried intake and exhaust stuff and it did nothing far as I can tell. In the time you mess with it you can put a clone half way in and have twice the power. But by all means do what you want with it and maybe someone else has better ideas than me this is just my experience with them. My clone is * awesome compared to stock engine, the first thing I'd do to a stock cart is lift and toss the engine I'm way spoiled now lol. Of course you can put a twin or atv engine in as well, just saying the 300 clones work well and are still somewhat safe to run as family uses my cart sometimes. The clone spins up hills, I'm only working on my clutching to see if I can pop a wheelie better. It only will pop 6-8" off the ground right now and I think it can do more.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-09-2014, 08:34 PM   #12
panteramatt
Gone Wild
Yamaha

What clone did you use?
panteramatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:55 PM   #13
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by panteramatt View Post
Im currently debating swapping my polaris 500 motor into it or just selling the atv and buying the clone which in the end would be cheaper and easier but less hp. Im heading to my cabin in 3 weeks with some friends and will need a little more power and tq for the mountains. I just dont want to spend much on this motor as it will be getting sold soon.
If you are selling it, and you want more power, I'd go with the clone because it will entail the least amount of work to get it installed and running. You'll need an engine, clutch adapter, engine mount plate, new belt. You can get a complete engine like the LIFAN 420 at Home Depot, it will have air filter and muffler already attached. This will have more power than stock.

If you want better power, Vegas Carts has a 440 that runs fantastic and comes with a rev kit already installed. They have the adapters, mount plates, and belts, but you'll have to buy or fab an exhaust and air intake filter setup.

Swapping that Polaris 500 in there will not be an easy endeavor. Very complicated with the liquid cooling, and the wiring is also more complicated. Not impossible, just more difficult than the clone.

You could also go with a Vtwin Briggs Vanguard engine. These have monster torque, said to be very fun to ride. Might be hard to find one though, and sometimes height clearance is and issue. Exhaust is trickier with twin pipes.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:44 PM   #14
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

V-twin Briggs is almost a bolt in for a G16,and they fit without a lift-kit.My Dad has a 14hp Vannie in his and it hauls ***,GPS 34mph-motor is stock,cart is stock.You can modify the original motor mount and bolt the motor in.He has the Cub Cadet air-filter and muffler on it too.Obviously the clones would be a similar install with even more room under the seat.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:02 PM   #15
panteramatt
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Yea im seriously debating getting the vegas clone. If i buy the cpp cog belt now, woukd it work on the clone too?
Old 03-11-2014, 10:24 AM   #16
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Yes, as long as you mount the clone with the crank the same distance as the original crank to rear clutch distance.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:59 PM   #17
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Yes, as long as you mount the clone with the crank the same distance as the original crank to rear clutch distance.
Ditto. If you lift it and use a custom cradle/mount, you might run out of adjustment. If you get/fab an adjustable cradle, it will make it easier to get the belt tight and easier to get the engine right where you want it. A Vtwin would be similar as a clone, except an extra exhaust pipe to work around and fab. Although, I don't know any one who has big blocked their cart and used their factory belt. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened, just the threads I've read on here have used some kind of longer size, usually 2-4 inches longer. The head on the clone points 45 degrees towards the rear of the cart. This means you have to allow more space from the frame cross-member and trans. I built mine so the engine is perfectly level, so I raised the rear of the engine up quite a ways. This created more clearance for me, but means I also have to use a 59" belt.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:31 PM   #18
panteramatt
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Oh ****. I just ordered a cpp cog belt. Hope it will work still.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:37 PM   #19
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

I'm doing a G2 with a Vegas440 now for my buddy.I'm working off the original rear motor-mount,and dropping the front down to level the motor.That gave me more room to get the cylinder up,over the rear axle.I'll check with Dad,I think he has the stock belt on his G16 Vannie.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:48 PM   #20
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachanga90 View Post
I'm doing a G2 with a Vegas440 now for my buddy.I'm working off the original rear motor-mount,and dropping the front down to level the motor.That gave me more room to get the cylinder up,over the rear axle.I'll check with Dad,I think he has the stock belt on his G16 Vannie.
That's good to know. With that cross-member it was tight on my G1, but I know the G2/G9 it's in a different spot, and I've never seen the G16.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha