lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-04-2020, 08:48 AM   #11
djcvet
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: EZGO Cart charge does not last long

How can I find the correct part number of my controller? I have a 1996 EZGO 36 volt DCS cart. I see there are different amp controllers. Does it make a difference what amp controller I buy and what will the difference be?
djcvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-04-2020, 11:07 AM   #12
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I agree with doubles shooter. Do the tests. Free

So the cart mechanic told you it was a controller issue but didn't tell you what the controller was doing wrong. And, he didn't suggest where to send it or show you where the specs for it was. Model number and such.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 12:28 PM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcvet View Post
How can I find the correct part number of my controller? I have a 1996 EZGO 36 volt DCS cart. I see there are different amp controllers. Does it make a difference what amp controller I buy and what will the difference be?
A stock DCS controller is a Curtis 1206SXand it is a 300A unit, however the last thing you want to do is buy another 1206SX controller since they have some design issues and fail often.

If your controller is truly bad, and nobody knows one way or the other yet, replace it with an Alltrax XCT48400-DCS controller.

--------------
I'm not saying your new batteries are bad, I'm just saying there is that possibility and some test need to be done to eliminate them from the list of possibilities.

I've been troubleshooting electronic and electromechanical devices for well over 50 years and when the symptoms indicate there is a power issue (IE cart only goes 2 miles and stops), I check the power source first (Batteries).
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 01:18 PM   #14
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

You wouldn’t be the first person on this forum to have a battery fail when it was new. It happens occasionally that’s for sure. 99.5% may be good ... you might be part of the 0.5% with a bad one (statistics are a WAG - for illustration purposes only).

Load testing while driving the cart should be part of your trouble shooting before considering replacing any other parts.

From my readings and experience, controllers are very difficult to troubleshoot and I was not aware that they could be “bench tested”. Unless bench testing means opening up the controller and checking for any failed parts 🤔
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 01:41 PM   #15
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcvet View Post
I am going to go with his experience and send the controller out to be bench checked and repaired if possible (can't afford a new controller right now). Anyone know of a company where I can get this done?
I understand that FSIP repairs / remanufactures controllers.

This is neither a suggestion nor a recommendation as a number of members of this forum have experienced that controller repairs can be a short term solution that may end up more costly in the long run if you later have to buy new. If you can find a used Alltrax controller, it might be a better option than repairing your old one.
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 01:44 PM   #16
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

1206mx "bench test".

Bench test only tests the high amp circuits, it doesnt tell you anything about the logic circuits.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1206MX controller meter checks.pdf (249.4 KB, 0 views)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 02:40 PM   #17
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCW View Post
--------------

From my readings and experience, controllers are very difficult to troubleshoot and I was not aware that they could be “bench tested”.

--------------

Since we don't have schematics of the circuits inside a controller we have to treat it as a "black box" and make sure the correct inputs are present for the desired outputs. In other words, if the box is being told to do something and it isn't doing it, the box is bad. Of course, the trick is knowing what the needed inputs are as well as what output is expected.

The best "bench" for testing a controller is the golf cart it is installed in. Otherwise you'd have to have a 300A, or more, power supply and a 15kW, or more, load. Plus another 5kW or so load if it is a sepex controller. Not to mention a compatible throttle input and the ITS throttle system EZGO uses is next to impossible to simulate without an actual pedal and pedal box.

Battery testing falls in roughly the same area, the cart is the best load tester we have usually available to us. The automotive type battery testers only put a 100A load on the battery for a few seconds while a true load tester for deep cycle batteries puts a 75A (or 56A) load on the battery of up to two hours or more, measuring runtime minutes. Those testers are expensive and rarely found outside a golf cart repair business or a battery shop.
Old 07-05-2020, 02:46 PM   #18
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
1206mx "bench test".

Bench test only tests the high amp circuits, it doesnt tell you anything about the logic circuits.
The OP has a DCS cart, got a diode check for a 1206SX?
Old 07-05-2020, 03:45 PM   #19
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
The OP has a DCS cart, got a diode check for a 1206SX?
Oops, screwed that one up. And no, I dont have that.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 04:10 PM   #20
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Oops, screwed that one up. And no, I dont have that.
It'll most likely pass a diode and continuity checks anyway, original complaint was the cart ran for about 2 miles and then started loosing power and then quit.

Has six new Rolls brand 6V-215AH batteries.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO