lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-02-2020, 10:08 PM   #1
Oldguy1949
Not Yet Wild

Default Stay 36V or go 48 ?

I may be real confused on this. My understanding is my 96 TXT Series motor on my project can go to 48V, is this true ? I have no batteries now so the $ for batteries is not the issue. I don't know if controller is good or if to test must have 36 volts plus are the controllers one voltage only ? Is it just better to get a new controller now & go 48 ?
This will be my farm work vehicle to run around pasture with tools in cargo bed . My Wife's is a 48v Club Car that has no trouble getting around so I am not sure what to do. Help me spend some money
Oldguy1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-03-2020, 06:55 AM   #2
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Stay 36V or go 48 ?

Converting from 36v to 48v was the best thing I ever did for my "series" cart.
In my case the biggest change was the increase in torque. This is a change with real "seat of the pants" feel.

The motor will actually run better at 48v. You will need a 48v capable controller, solenoid and charger along with the batteries.

Site sponsors have kits for this. Mostly plug n play. Includes the controller, solenoid, diode and resister and instructions. Alltrax is a popular controller for this conversion.

To be clear, the way I read your post is the cart doesn't run now and you are unsure why?
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 07:24 AM   #3
Oldguy1949
Not Yet Wild

This was a FREE one that had been sitting in the weeds & the couple that wanted it GONE swore up & down was running fine when parked which I figured was not exactly correct. When removing body I'm pretty sure found the broken wire from accelerator to controller . I've done the 12v test on motor & it's ok. I have been thinking at this point just go ahead & get new controller/solinoid anyway. I allready have a 48v charger but with 2 carts probably need 2. I have enough left over #4 to make new cables plus I got time
I thought I was going to have to paint or wrap the body as it's been partially spray canned black but found a deal on CL for a decent body & 4 really good tires for $50 .
Old 07-03-2020, 08:22 AM   #4
Reddawg454
Grumpy Old Guy

Club Car

Sounds like your having a lucky streak!
Reddawg454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 08:27 AM   #5
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddawg454 View Post
Yup, get a lottery ticket while your at it.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 08:31 AM   #6
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Old Guy....when I got my first cart (which was a series cart too) I didn't know any better and first thing I did was get new batteries.....but found BGW shortly and within a week of buying the cart....I tore it apart down to the frame to totally refurb it because of all that I read. I ended up replacing the entire drive system (controller, solenoid, f&r switch, cables) but since I just bought new batteries, I left it at 36v....so to get a bit more speed I got a new high speed motor......BUT I really wished I had gone 48v at that time.....5 years go by and needed new batteries (because I screwed up) and mad the jump to 48v, got a new charger......will never look back!! and you shouldn't either!
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 09:06 AM   #7
Oldguy1949
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddawg454 View Post
It's just setting me up for the big " oh sh#%, what's that gonna cost to fix moment " .
Old 07-03-2020, 09:23 AM   #8
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: Stay 36V or go 48 ?

36 volt motor on 48 volts is the way to go, since you have no way to test the controller and such go ahead to 48. Controller, solenoid, batteries and charger.
May as well do a cable upgrade as well.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 03:29 PM   #9
Sideways
Gone Wild

36 to 48 all the way
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 04:51 PM   #10
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I've done many 36->48v conversions, not one customer said "sure wish I hadn't done that".
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO