lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-13-2018, 11:13 PM   #41
UGA_FAN
Not Yet Wild

Default Battery light on a 1996 48v (sn-A9649) is staying on

Ok, went and picked up the voltage suppression cable and installed it. I also bolted everything back to the controller. When I tested the charger without AC connected, the relay clicked. I removed the plug from the cart and connected the AC to the charger. When I connected the plug to the cart, the battery light came on for a second, went out, and the charger came on. After a couple of seconds, it shut off and then came back on at 15a. I crossed my fingers that I was golden; however after 5-10 min the charger turned off and the battery light came on. 4-5 min after the battery light came on, it went off again and the charger started charging. It has been on/off cycling like that for the last 20-30 min. The battery light is solid on when the charger stops for a few minutes. The charging amps are gradually going down through the cycles. It’s at 10a now and 56.2v (started at 51.2v). Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UGA_FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-13-2018, 11:25 PM   #42
UGA_FAN
Not Yet Wild

I just bypassed the relay. The charger came on immediately @15a and is slowly tapering down. After ~1 min, it’s at 10a. No cycling on/off. The battery light on the cart is still solid ‘on’.

Old 02-14-2018, 12:06 AM   #43
UGA_FAN
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Battery light on a 1996 48v (sn-A9649) is staying on

I did an OBC reset. As soon as I plugged in the charging cable, the battery light came on. No relay click. I tested the volts to the relay from the red/blue wires while the AC was disconnected, the charger plug was plugged in, and wires were connected to the relay. I got 3.2v with the ‘new’ relay and 3.7v when I connected the wires to the old relay. The red battery light was solid ‘on’ while I did this.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:12 AM   #44
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Unfortunately it looks like the OBC is failing.

While You can use the Powerdrive with the relay by-passed in order to put some energy back into the pack, it will not "charge" since it has no way to provide the "absorption" phase of a charging cycle.

It will also never turn OFF so You need to unplug it when the pack gets up to 60v.

Unplug the AC first as it could be a spark at the DC plug since there will be current still flowing and likely lots of hydrogen and oxygen gasses around the bubbly batteries.

Removing the OBC and getting a smart charger is the best solution at this point.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 08:43 AM   #45
UGA_FAN
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Unfortunately it looks like the OBC is failing.

While You can use the Powerdrive with the relay by-passed in order to put some energy back into the pack, it will not "charge" since it has no way to provide the "absorption" phase of a charging cycle.

It will also never turn OFF so You need to unplug it when the pack gets up to 60v.

Unplug the AC first as it could be a spark at the DC plug since there will be current still flowing and likely lots of hydrogen and oxygen gasses around the bubbly batteries.

Removing the OBC and getting a smart charger is the best solution at this point.

Bummer...I kinda expected it, but held out hope I could get it going without buying a new charger. I was looking at Lester Summit or Summit 2 but thought I might should do a DPI Accusense 17a instead. I like the idea of the charger not being sealed should the occasion arise where I need to get into it to replace something and the charger is going to sit on a shelf regardless of what I end up buying. Any thoughts/opinions on the DPI Accusense? It seems to be well reviewed here on BGW and by Scottyb.

Old 02-14-2018, 09:07 AM   #46
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

All of those You mentioned are good chargers.

The DPI warranty department has a good track history on this site for standing behind their products and the "Accusense" model is reliable.

Scottyb has some new less expensive charger options now, I don't think they are field serviceable either but it may be worthwhile checking with him on warranties.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:28 PM   #47
UGA_FAN
Not Yet Wild

I’ll ask this question here vs starting a new thread. This is all I need to do to bypass the OBC so that my incoming no-OBC DPI charger and solenoid will work properly, correct? Terminate black wire running from charging receptacle to the OBC and the yellow wire running from the OBC to the solenoid. Run wires from the solenoid to either the negative post on the controller or the pack main negative, and a 10g wire from the charging receptacle to the main pack negative. Do I leave the pack main negative cable running through the OBC to the controller negative post or do I go around it or does it matter?

Old 02-15-2018, 12:59 PM   #48
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

You got it.

I would unplug and remove the OBC entirely from the cart and replace that old 6ga cable that goes through the OBC with the new 2ga cable that You are making.
Old 10-30-2019, 08:46 AM   #49
kantuckian
Gone Wild

Good Info
kantuckian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:08 PM   #50
Yury
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Excellent infor! Thank you.
Yury is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car