lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-23-2019, 12:09 PM   #1
Purpleharley61
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default 05 ds runs then stops

I have a 97 ds that I converted to a used AQ05 system. Cart runs but will stop then will go again. Im thinkin its the mcor going out. When cart quits it only takes a few seconds to go again.
Purpleharley61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-23-2019, 01:46 PM   #2
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 05 ds runs then stops

Rapidly depress and release the accelerator pedal about 50 times (key-off of course). If the MCOR has become sketchy, that usually "fixes it" for a short while. There's numerous other things that could cause stop/go however - main solenoid dropout, loose connections (to name just two).
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 02:52 PM   #3
Purpleharley61
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesam View Post
Rapidly depress and release the accelerator pedal about 50 times (key-off of course). If the MCOR has become sketchy, that usually "fixes it" for a short while. There's numerous other things that could cause stop/go however - main solenoid dropout, loose connections (to name just two).
Ok before installing unit to my cart i cleaned all connections and sprayed them w electronic cleaner. All connections are tight. 1 thing I didnt reconnect was a black wire that was connected to the old controller. It was connected to same connection that the blk wire from the OBC is hooked to. This wire goes to a box on the frame and wires coming from this box go to a bracket w a bunxh of spades. I believe this is a ground unit for multipale wires for accesories. Do I need to hook this wire to controller like my original was or can i go to a battery. Im assuming it went to controller to keep from wearing out a battery. I didnt hook to my controller as was afraid of messing up controller.
I will do as you say with pedal to see if it corrects problem. Thanks for all your input!
Old 07-23-2019, 03:44 PM   #4
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

That sounds like one of the old 16-12v converters - it does need to connect to the B- on the controller and to "only" the 16v battery post in your pack (two batteries). Not really a good converter since it loads only two batteries - and it can't be the cause of your problems. Unless you have non-working accesories - just tape it up and set it aside. Troubleshooting wise - next time it stops dead - listen hard to see if you can hear the main solenoid click off at the time it stops. Solenoids have a distinct sound - you should be able to tell if the solenoid is dropping.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:02 PM   #5
Purpleharley61
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
That sounds like one of the old 16-12v converters - it does need to connect to the B- on the controller and to "only" the 16v battery post in your pack (two batteries). Not really a good converter since it loads only two batteries - and it can't be the cause of your problems. Unless you have non-working accesories - just tape it up and set it aside. Troubleshooting wise - next time it stops dead - listen hard to see if you can hear the main solenoid click off at the time it stops. Solenoids have a distinct sound - you should be able to tell if the solenoid is dropping.

Yes i have taped it up along w the red wires that go to a/m head lights and under body running lights. Im still confused on how to hook it up but i will tackel that after we get stop & go fixed. Its rainy here today so i will pump the pedal and test tomarrow
Old 07-23-2019, 07:54 PM   #6
Purpleharley61
Getting Wild
Club Car

Ok Did pedal procedure like u stated and that got cart to not stop. Now it starts out fast and slows down after pushing pedal 50 times w key off. So going foward it starts fast then slows but no stop. In reverse it goes fast w no slowing. Could i have wires wrong or switch wrong? Or could it be cuz im using my original motor from the regen 1.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:31 AM   #7
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Diagnosing incorrect wiring on an IQ harness is a bit out of my league - we should wait for an IQ knowledgeable person to jump in at this point. But to help troubleshoot - you need to answer:

1) "Fast" and "Slow" are subjective terms. Can you use a phone/GPS app to determine how "slow" your cart operates in Fwd? Might be a bit more dangerous to answer but how "fast" is reverse?

2) Although the sensors are different in appearance, Regen 1 and IQ motors provide the exact same magnetic pulses to your controller. That should not be the problem - unless you have a bad sensor. With key on, perform the sensor push test described HERE and see if you get resistance and beeping.

3) Does the reverse buzzer sound when you switch the rocker to reverse?

4) if "50 pedal cycles" improved the stop/go situation - it suggests your MCOR is on-the-way-out. You should find a OEM (made in Mexico not China) replacement for that - even though that might not be causing what you are seeing - it certainly could be the cause. You will also see a comparison of the Regen 1 & 2 sensors in the above link - and it actually describes the starts fast - then slow fault associated with a bad sensor. So you may need to find an OEM sensor for your motor. To do that - I highly recommend "Revolution Golf Cars" as he carries and sells only 100% OEM parts. The last thing you would want, is to complicate your troubleshooting by adding unreliable (AKA Chinese) parts at this stage.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:44 AM   #8
Purpleharley61
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Diagnosing incorrect wiring on an IQ harness is a bit out of my league - we should wait for an IQ knowledgeable person to jump in at this point. But to help troubleshoot - you need to answer:

1) "Fast" and "Slow" are subjective terms. Can you use a phone/GPS app to determine how "slow" your cart operates in Fwd? Might be a bit more dangerous to answer but how "fast" is reverse?

2) Although the sensors are different in appearance, Regen 1 and IQ motors provide the exact same magnetic pulses to your controller. That should not be the problem - unless you have a bad sensor. With key on, perform the sensor push test described HERE and see if you get resistance and beeping.

3) Does the reverse buzzer sound when you switch the rocker to reverse?

4) if "50 pedal cycles" improved the stop/go situation - it suggests your MCOR is on-the-way-out. You should find a OEM (made in Mexico not China) replacement for that - even though that might not be causing what you are seeing - it certainly could be the cause. You will also see a comparison of the Regen 1 & 2 sensors in the above link - and it actually describes the starts fast - then slow fault associated with a bad sensor. So you may need to find an OEM sensor for your motor. To do that - I highly recommend "Revolution Golf Cars" as he carries and sells only 100% OEM parts. The last thing you would want, is to complicate your troubleshooting by adding unreliable (AKA Chinese) parts at this stage.

Ok I was thinking on replacing mcor & speed sensor was my next move. Thank you for all your help!
Old 07-24-2019, 02:59 PM   #9
Purpleharley61
Getting Wild
Club Car

The slow im refering to is not a crawling slow so cart may not be acting up. This is the first cart I have owned so im not familuar w them. In the future im wanting to upgrade to make it have a lil more power. Right now we have 8" mudtires on it. Will prolly keep them and just get nice whls to go w them. Do I upgrade motor and bigger amp controller. Right now i got stock curtis 250a controller w stock regen 1 motor
Old 07-25-2019, 10:25 AM   #10
Purpleharley61
Getting Wild
Club Car

Anybody w/ IQ knowledge? The black box on side of rear frame i believe could b a reducer of some sort as it goes to blk obc wire at controller. The other wires coming out of blk box got to a unit equiped w multipal spades for acessories as they go to head lights and running lights. Do I hook it back up to controller or elsewhere?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car