lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-05-2019, 09:13 PM   #11
zookie2002
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Top speed

You have speed code 4. The first picture shows a sticker with Code A, Code B, Code C is what was used during programming.

My cart is speed code 4 with new batteries, and it tops out at 19.6 mph. Constant cruising speed is 18 mph.
zookie2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-05-2019, 09:26 PM   #12
Dpvfd1583
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by zookie2002 View Post
You have speed code 4. The first picture shows a sticker with Code A, Code B, Code C is what was used during programming.

My cart is speed code 4 with new batteries, and it tops out at 19.6 mph. Constant cruising speed is 18 mph.
Just because those numbers are there means it has been done? Thought that was the code they had to use if they wanted to do it.....Man there is a lot of people on here from the Houston area.
Dpvfd1583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:21 PM   #13
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpvfd1583 View Post
Just because those numbers are there means it has been done? Thought that was the code they had to use if they wanted to do it.....Man there is a lot of people on here from the Houston area.
Someone had to pay for SC4 and the sticker would not be there had it not been done... Just looking at your pictures it appears to be stock with SC4 and what looks like tired dated and corroded batteries... Batteries that are not up to par cost you speed, brakes and bearings that drag cost you speed...

Also if I'm not mistaken those look like 12 volt batteries. How many batteries do you have and how many caps do the batteries have? I'm betting 4 batteries with 6 caps each? Only my opinion but 48 volt via 4x12 is not gonna have the power of six 8 volt batteries and will in turn be a bit slower too...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:47 PM   #14
Dpvfd1583
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by teecro View Post
Someone had to pay for SC4 and the sticker would not be there had it not been done... Just looking at your pictures it appears to be stock with SC4 and what looks like tired dated and corroded batteries... Batteries that are not up to par cost you speed, brakes and bearings that drag cost you speed...

Also if I'm not mistaken those look like 12 volt batteries. How many batteries do you have and how many caps do the batteries have? I'm betting 4 batteries with 6 caps each? Only my opinion but 48 volt via 4x12 is not gonna have the power of six 8 volt batteries and will in turn be a bit slower too...
The cart was given to me by my wife's grandmother. It definitely needs some cleaning up. It probably set for 2 years. As far as bearings and breaks I just put the lift on it and everything spins freely. Yes it is a 4x12 cart. This picture was taken when I took it out for it's 1st time to make sure everything worked correctly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190803_182046.jpg (254.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-06-2019, 12:10 AM   #15
Bobbob
Gone Wild

Club Car

I would say someone already put in code 4. 18-19 MPH is all your going to get out of it now. To increase your speed you will have to upgrade battery cables, controller and motor. It would also help to clean up those batteries and clean up connectors on each battery. Then spray connectors with anti corrosion spray.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bobbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 06:26 AM   #16
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpvfd1583 View Post
The cart was given to me by my wife's grandmother. It definitely needs some cleaning up. It probably set for 2 years. As far as bearings and breaks I just put the lift on it and everything spins freely. Yes it is a 4x12 cart. This picture was taken when I took it out for it's 1st time to make sure everything worked correctly.
Don't get me wrong I'm not crapping on your cart, just pointing out the obvious reasons for its speed or lack of... You absolutely need to start with removing each and every battery cable connection and cleaning them free of any and all corrosion, all must be clean bright and shiny... Are the battery water levels correct and pack fully charged?
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 08:25 AM   #17
Dpvfd1583
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by teecro View Post
Don't get me wrong I'm not crapping on your cart, just pointing out the obvious reasons for its speed or lack of... You absolutely need to start with removing each and every battery cable connection and cleaning them free of any and all corrosion, all must be clean bright and shiny... Are the battery water levels correct and pack fully charged?
I had to put around 2 gallons of water between all of them to get them full. Then I had to charge them individually to get the charger to work. I have had it on the charger for probably 8 hours and the charger hasn't shut off so I don't think they are 100% full. The charger gets extremely hot while charging so I end up unplugging.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:12 AM   #18
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

The PD3 chargers get hot while charging. It doesn't hurt them, just let it roll.
A full charge on those batteries may take 12-16 hours. Let the charger run and just keep an eye on the amperage.

More than likely those batteries are not going to hold up for long. No lead acid battery handles being totally dead, but for deep cycle batteries it takes a huge chunk out of their overall capacity.

With the tire size you have, the cart is probably set for speed code 3.
I could be wrong but I think a CE cart has the Excel controller so a speed magnet will not work. Your only options for more speed are to purchase SC4 from a dealer or get a new controller.
SC4 will not give you more power. It allows higher speed, but gives you no extra torque to get there.
A new controller will give you more torque (amps) and allow higher speeds. Pair it with a better motor to get the most out of the cart.
Plan on replacing the batteries and cables as well. Those cables are pretty crusty looking and internal corrosion will limit their ability to deliver power and can cause the terminal ends to melt.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:33 AM   #19
Dpvfd1583
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
The PD3 chargers get hot while charging. It doesn't hurt them, just let it roll.
A full charge on those batteries may take 12-16 hours. Let the charger run and just keep an eye on the amperage.

More than likely those batteries are not going to hold up for long. No lead acid battery handles being totally dead, but for deep cycle batteries it takes a huge chunk out of their overall capacity.

With the tire size you have, the cart is probably set for speed code 3.
I could be wrong but I think a CE cart has the Excel controller so a speed magnet will not work. Your only options for more speed are to purchase SC4 from a dealer or get a new controller.
SC4 will not give you more power. It allows higher speed, but gives you no extra torque to get there.
A new controller will give you more torque (amps) and allow higher speeds. Pair it with a better motor to get the most out of the cart.
Plan on replacing the batteries and cables as well. Those cables are pretty crusty looking and internal corrosion will limit their ability to deliver power and can cause the terminal ends to melt.
I posted a picture of my controller on the 1st page. How do I tell if it's excel or not? I have also been told since I have the 3 code sticker on the controller i should have speed code 4.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:04 AM   #20
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

That's not the controller that's the mounting plate. The controller is on the back side of that. Easiest to get under the cart and remove the black plastic splash cover behind that and you'll see a grey or black plastic controller made by Curtis and will have a model number sticker on it.
If it has a Grey box its an Excel controller.

The speed code sticker may be correct, but the speed you're getting is not right for a speed code 4 cart with 22" tires.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car