lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-29-2019, 12:25 PM   #11
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 05 DS keeps burning up speed sensors

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg-g View Post
If the diode is missing or open and the collapsing coil of the solenoid sends a high voltage pulse on the negative line it could easily take out the speed sensor rated at 30 V.
The collapsing field of a solenoid does not generate high voltage, it is an inductor and it reacts against change in current only.

What happens is a combination of the solenoid coil trying to keep the same current flowing as before it was interrupted and the device (switch or semi-conductor) that is interrupting the system starting to become a very high resistance.

Since Voltage = Resistance x Current and the resistance increases, it creates a high voltage across the device that it is interrupting the signal.

The diode installed across the solenoid coil provides a path for the current generated by the stored energy in the coil to circulate when the power is interrupted so the interrupting device does not get subjected to this condition.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-29-2019, 12:49 PM   #12
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Well look at it like this. The collapsing field of a solenoid does not generate high voltage, it is an inductor and it reacts against change in current only.

What happens is a combination of the solenoid coil trying to keep the same current flowing as before it was interrupted and the device (switch or semi-conductor) that is interrupting the system starting to become a very high resistance. Since Voltage = Resistance x Current and the resistance increases, it creates a high voltage across the device that it is interrupting the signal.

The diode installed across the solenoid coil provides a path for the current generated by the stored energy in the coil to circulate when the power is interrupted so the interrupting device does not get subjected to this condition at all.

Oh shucks, looks like Sergio typed faster then me...Lol! Gotta love a good laugh Sergio....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 02:58 PM   #13
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Check the solenoid for continuity across the large posts with the cables removed. If the solenoid is welded stuck the controller also puts the cart in limp mode.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 03:19 PM   #14
greg-g
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
Well look at it like this. The collapsing field of a solenoid does not generate high voltage, it is an inductor and it reacts against change in current only.

What happens is a combination of the solenoid coil trying to keep the same current flowing as before it was interrupted and the device (switch or semi-conductor) that is interrupting the system starting to become a very high resistance. Since Voltage = Resistance x Current and the resistance increases, it creates a high voltage across the device that it is interrupting the signal.

The diode installed across the solenoid coil provides a path for the current generated by the stored energy in the coil to circulate when the power is interrupted so the interrupting device does not get subjected to this condition at all.

Oh shucks, looks like Sergio typed faster then me...Lol! Gotta love a good laugh Sergio....
A flyback diode is a diode connected across an inductor used to eliminate flyback, which is the sudden voltage spike seen across an inductive load when its supply current is suddenly reduced or interrupted. It is used in circuits in which inductive loads are controlled by switches, and in switching power supplies and inverters.
greg-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 04:16 PM   #15
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Check the solenoid for continuity across the large posts with the cables removed. If the solenoid is welded stuck the controller also puts the cart in limp mode.
I thought he said he already replaced the solenoid, but It must have been another thread since I don't see the comment.

I also assumed his comment about the failed speed sensors were based on the push test.

Hopefully that is the issue since it is a lot cheaper than a Controller.
Old 08-29-2019, 04:21 PM   #16
greg-g
Gone Wild

No he said he checked it and it was OK so yes that more than likely is the controller
greg-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 05:46 PM   #17
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

I don't see where he said he tested the solenoid.

Symptoms sound speed sensor/circuit related, but the sensor is obviously working at least when he tested the output of the sensor and it was pulsing. Maybe it works that much but is not producing a consistent signal when the cart is driving. Would need an O-scope to figure that out for sure.

It may be too coincidental that the solenoid sticks closed, and then suddenly opens and works properly again for a short time after replacing the speed sensor, but it's possible the first sensor was a dud, and now the solenoid has failed. It's at least easier to test than the controller, and would verify if the controller is the issue.
Another option could be damaged wiring or corrosion inside the connectors of either the controller or the sensor.
Old 08-29-2019, 06:33 PM   #18
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Just push it to see if the sensor is working, like Fairtax4me said, test the continuity to see if the solenoid is stuck.

If no continuity, do a test drive but only press the accelerator once and see if it goes fast.
Old 08-30-2019, 12:30 PM   #19
mwollerman2011
Getting Wild

thanks for all the input on this issue i will check the solenoid as soon as i can. im in south florida so right now were in storm prep mode and do not have time to work on it i have extra solenoids on the shelf ill swap it out if i have to as soon as i can get back to the cart i will update this thread thanks again
mwollerman2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 03:37 PM   #20
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Good luck with the storm coming! Stay safe man!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car