lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-16-2019, 02:52 PM   #1
jamoore
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default New Guy Here- Get Me Started Please

Hello: Joined a little while back and have been reading and learning. Amazed at the group here and the knowledge and more importantly willingness to share.

Just picked up my first cart so almost everything is new to me. It is a 1998 Club Car DS. Let me be clear, it is a total project. Got it for a song and am not opposed to spending some money and time to make her better than new again. I am fairly mechanical (although electrical will be a little new to me other than basics). I am good at paint and body and generally making things like new. This cart has 6 batteries tossed in there but none are hooked up and I will assume they are no good. I have no charger so one question is -Is there a way to test these batteries and charge them individually without too much expense (cheap charger)?

Second basic question is what should I be checking first before diving too far in. In other words, what would be a deal killer if found to be bad. Cost too much to replace so it would not be sound financially to replace it on an old cart that will need many other things. I know I will be needing batteries and charger/wheels and tires but don't want to proceed on these yet until I am reasonably comfortable I will be able to put together a running cart at the end. From my browsing around here it sounds like most of the parts on these carts can be replaced without costing an arm and a leg.

Thanks in advance and looking forward to picking some brains and learning as I go. Joe
jamoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-16-2019, 03:28 PM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: New Guy Here- Get Me Started Please

Welcome to BGW. A few things to start with: You will need a (DVM) digital hand held voltage meter for testing. That cart has an on board computer (OBC). Without a charger and batteries you don't know if the OBC is good. Because you have to buy a new charger anyway, I would bypass and remove the OBC. (Lot's of info here about doing that) Buy a smart charger that does not work in conjunction with the OBC.

Test the batteries with the DVM. That is the only way to determine if they are worth saving.

These are the basics to start with.

P.S. I forgot to ask if it is 36 or 48 volt. Post a photo of the engine compartment so we can see what you have.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 03:40 PM   #3
LabRat
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Welcome and Congratulations.
IMHO you have purchase the "Queen of the Prom" I have seen hundreds of these carts,
Consider talking with Carts Unlimited to ungraded now instead of fighting old worn out stuff as a 20 year old cart will have many issues, and some advice, if you have to change charger & your cart has an OBC, get rid of it, go with a smart charger. ScottyB has great prices & service, they stand behind what they sell
Just my 2 cent
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 03:50 PM   #4
jamoore
Gone Wild
Club Car

Thanks Guys, Much appreciated. This will be a project and probably a little slow but I will post progress photos and of course many more questions. Joe
Old 09-16-2019, 06:48 PM   #5
Aflyer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Welcome to BGW, I agree you bought a great car to upgrade.

I don't know where you are located, but if you are in the eastern half of the country, check out this website and call David direct to discuss upgrade options:

https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com

Aflyer
Aflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 07:20 PM   #6
jamoore
Gone Wild
Club Car

Just a little update and seeing if I can post a picture. A couple shots of this gem. Please note the birds nest in the dash. Top was supported with broom sticks between the supports. Batteries were just dumped in there. Last shot shows I have torn it down pretty far. Only issues I have really seen is a broken piece where the drivers seat bolts in. Battery trays are pretty shot and looks like someone placed angle iron in there at some point. I can probably come up with something acceptable that will hold the batteries.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (366.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 17.jpg (287.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (230.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 35.jpg (435.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-25-2019, 10:23 PM   #7
swb713
Gone Wild

Columbia

Wow ... you were not kidding when you said the batteries were just thrown in there.

You've got some work ahead of you.
But it's fun![emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
swb713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car