lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-20-2019, 07:11 PM   #1
mikeyford3
Not Yet Wild

Default 1981 Club car 36 volt

Picked this bad boy up for a hundred bucks! The guy said it ran and then one day just stopped. Frame is in great shape no rust. So I figured if I can't get it running it is at least a good roller to start fresh. I know absolutely nothing about golf carts, but I'm very mechanically inclined.

Just want to know where would you guys start? I found a a wiring diagram for it and it already looks like its missing the first resistor coil. Another thing is he was running it off 3 12 volt batteries instead of 6 6V. Until I buy new batteries will I still be able to work/make run on 3 12 volt batteries?

My main goal is to just get it running well enough to be used as a deer cart during deer season. I have a few spots where I'm going about 2 miles in the woods on a dirt trail and 2 miles out. After deer season is done....thats where the fun would start! I would like to convert it to a 48 volt system, add a alltrax controller to it, and ill prob fab a new suspension for it .

After I get it running I would like to actually make it "hunt" worthy. Add a rack to the front, put a roof on it, windshield, foil down seat for deer.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated
mikeyford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-20-2019, 07:26 PM   #2
mikeyford3
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1981 Club car 36 volt

And more pictures
Old 09-20-2019, 09:34 PM   #3
The Big Weezy
Getting Wild
Club Car

If you want to convert it to 48 volts, don't bother trying to make it run as is. Just do the conversion. You will not regret it. Check the site sponsors like Revolution and Carts Unlimited for upgrade kits. Sounds like you have a good jumping off point, just jump!

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
The Big Weezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 10:14 PM   #4
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default 1981 Club car 36 volt

Definitely convert it to solid state. Cartsunlimited.Net. Very well worth it!
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 10:21 PM   #5
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

All in what you want to do with it. The first thing I would do is test the motor to see if it is good. I know "the guy said..." but that is where you should start. JMHO.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 05:41 AM   #6
mikeyford3
Not Yet Wild

I think that’s the first thing I’m going to do is to test the motor and see if it’s good. Is there a way to bench test it?
Old 09-21-2019, 06:25 AM   #7
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyford3 View Post
Frame is in great shape no rust. So I figured if I can't get it running it is at least a good roller to start fresh. I know absolutely nothing about golf carts, but I'm very mechanically inclined.

Club car frames are aluminum, which make them a great choice for use in the outdoors.

Just want to know where would you guys start?

I would recommend looking into a solid state upgrade or even just changing the whole drive train to an IQ system(this would depend on how your axle would stand up to beefed up system, I hear the 80s axles were weaker than the later). I'll let the experts guide you on that decision, just offering it out as something to think about.

My main goal is to just get it running well enough to be used as a deer cart during deer season. I have a few spots where I'm going about 2 miles in the woods on a dirt trail and 2 miles out. If you have hills of any real incline, this may be a problem for you. 36v systems just do not have the torque. After deer season is done....thats where the fun would start! I would like to convert it to a 48 volt system, add a alltrax controller to it, and ill prob fab a new suspension for it .

After I get it running I would like to actually make it "hunt" worthy. Add a rack to the front, put a roof on it, windshield, foil down seat for deer.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated
I would recommend getting in touch with Dave at http://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/ (site sponsor). You will not find anyone here with more knowledge on Club Cars, let alone with better customer service. He came up with the setup I have for my cart, that I converted from gas to electric, (aside from the lithium battery system) built for hunting. You can see in my signature everything I did to mine.
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 06:36 AM   #8
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyford3 View Post
I think that’s the first thing I’m going to do is to test the motor and see if it’s good. Is there a way to bench test it?

LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 07:01 AM   #9
LabRat
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Yes you could probably get away with a total investment of $342.82 ;) which include the price of the cart....however we do get what we pay for. Most folks don't have 2 grand laying around to beef up a hunting buggy. I have seen some great "Shade Tree" hunting carts, Your time is free take advantage of that and buy the best parts you can afford,
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 10:00 AM   #10
mikeyford3
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for all the responses I am going to test motor and get back to you guys !
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car