lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-29-2019, 10:46 AM   #21
G. Zod
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 84' Club Car solid state conversion project

I tugged a bit but couldn't get the paper- looking stuff out. Left it in and sprayed a bit of lithium grease on both male/female halves of the spline. The motor glided on like butter and the armature seems to spin smoothly.

Like the idea of draining the transaxle. I'll give this a try.

Here are some pics of the 95% complete conversion. It took me about 9-10 hours total but keep in mind that 1) I'm a total novice on golf carts, my main expertise is in RC helicopters and EDF jets, and 2) that time span includes 4 trips to the hardware store to get terminals, wire etc. Good thing it's close!

I plan to spend today triple and quadruple checking all the connections and wiring. Gotta admit I'm terrified to turn it on. Anyone have any pointers on how I can test things or boot things up in stages? I just don't want to fry anything expensive like the motor, controller etc...

Thanks everyone for all the help with this. Really appreciate all the advice.

Loren
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 58D31A41-0154-4F6D-91C9-6FF29B66992B.jpg (172.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 17A2B546-4420-47C7-A47D-CD7943F14C21.jpg (226.5 KB, 0 views)
G. Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-29-2019, 02:51 PM   #22
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Looking great! You’re gonna love it.
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 03:07 PM   #23
fsu1tm
Gone Wild

Club Car

Your wiring should be the same as mine. I created this PDF to help me document my conversion. See if it helps you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Poopsie Wiring.pdf (305.9 KB, 0 views)
fsu1tm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 03:08 PM   #24
fsu1tm
Gone Wild

Club Car

BTW. My conversion was a 1990 CC DS. Your conversion parts should be pretty much the same.
Old 09-29-2019, 06:47 PM   #25
G. Zod
Not Yet Wild

Thanks FSU. That PDF is solid gold - really helpful for checking all the connections!

I have everything the same except for the SW202 wiring - I have cable 5 and 8 switched... So I've got cable 5 on II in your diagram, and cable 8 on IV. But this seems to be what they want me to do in the wiring diagram, because it shows cable 8 on the same side as cable 3.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AF575542-3D89-4939-9138-996E8243BC2F.jpg (182.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-29-2019, 07:10 PM   #26
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Cable 3 terminal can show on either side of the SW202. This bar simply runs from side to side through center and can exit on either side. No worries, if you get 5 and 8 mixed F&R will be reversed. This why you should leave the rocker switch hangin loose until you see the wheels turn - then push the F&R in the housing facing the correct direction.
If you have already plugged the switch into the housing no need to pry it out just swap 5 and 8 or swap the 2 small + activation (switch wires) on the SW202.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SW202 terminal eplained.jpg (109.6 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 01:17 AM   #27
G. Zod
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Scotty that makes sense. As long as I don't fry anything!
Old 09-30-2019, 05:22 AM   #28
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Admiral and FSIP specifically instruct not to use the OEM rubber bumper with their motors.
Well now that is an important piece of information. First I have ever heard of this. Admiral didn't send much information with my motor, and definitely didn't mention this. Guess I'll be pulling motor out soon, to remove the bumper... Thank you for sharing this Scottyb!

Sorry G. Zod, not trying to hi-jack your thread. Your build is looking like it is coming along nicely!
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:53 AM   #29
fsu1tm
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by G. Zod View Post
Thanks FSU. That PDF is solid gold - really helpful for checking all the connections!

I have everything the same except for the SW202 wiring - I have cable 5 and 8 switched... So I've got cable 5 on II in your diagram, and cable 8 on IV. But this seems to be what they want me to do in the wiring diagram, because it shows cable 8 on the same side as cable 3.
I had that same question during my conversion and had to query Scotty.

You're going to love the conversion. My '90 cart went from 8 MPH to 14 MPH with just this conversion (staying 36V and stock motor). After going Lithium (58.4V), I'm getting 23-24 MPH (still on stock motor).
Old 09-30-2019, 10:15 AM   #30
G. Zod
Not Yet Wild

Can I ask a stupid question - what/where is the rubber bumper on the Admiral motor? I pretty much just popped it onto the spline and cabled up...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car