lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-27-2019, 08:17 AM   #1
jimmypearcevic
Not Yet Wild

Default 1996 48 volt ds club car shunts but won’t move.

Hi guys.

My 96 cart has stoped moving. I parked it up overnight, when to go in the morning and it only slightly shunts when I put the peddle down. It only does this the first time. If I pump it nothing happens.

It has been going fast and slow randomly for a while but it had never refused to move before.

-The ignition doesn’t work, cart goes in the off position. (Was that way when I got it)
-I’m getting voltage on both sides of the solenoid (slightly less on the load sides as there is a little resister there). The solenoid is always in, I’m going to fix this next
-Iv got 51v across all the batteries,
- I get 43v at the motor when the peddle is pressed

Could this be the bushes in the motor gone or a stuffed motor? Am I missing something simple and hopefully cheap to fix.

It’s strange it didn’t die while I was using it, but over night.

Thanks for your help guys

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jimmypearcevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-27-2019, 09:34 AM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: 1996 48 volt ds club car shunts but won’t move.

If you have a meter across the large posts of the solenoid, you should see ~.5v-1.5v on the meter. When you press the Go Pedal with it in Forward, you should hear the solenoid "click" and the volt meter should go to 0v. If not, then we need to see if it is not closing in or if you have lost the Positive or Negative permissive.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 05:48 PM   #3
jimmypearcevic
Not Yet Wild

Thx, I tested across both posts with the pedal down and came up with 50v. I’d say I need a new solenoid. How am I still getting volts to the motor if the solenoid is stuffed?

Old 09-27-2019, 06:30 PM   #4
jimmypearcevic
Not Yet Wild

Alright, got the solenoid to close when I run another active to the control terminal. There are 2 actives going to the control unit. Iv looked at a few wiring diagrams to c where they come from, but 5ey are very blurred and hard to follow.

When the solenoid is breached she goes. Just need to find out why it isn’t getting power to the solenoid. Where do I go from here?

Thx

Old 09-27-2019, 08:08 PM   #5
jimmypearcevic
Not Yet Wild

I ran a cable strait from the battery to the solenoid input terminal and the solenoid closes. Then I can drive it until I take my foot of the peddle. As soon as I do that it won’t go again. The solenoid is still closed. When I disconnect the solenoid i hear the click, reconnect it and it goes again.

Anyone no what I need to replace to get it going again? Control unit?

Old 09-27-2019, 08:29 PM   #6
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

What is your throttle type? (V-glide or Pot Box)

You have 48v Pos on the Black/White wire and 48v Neg on the Yellow wire. These are connected to the two small posts on the solenoid.
Old 09-27-2019, 10:06 PM   #7
jimmypearcevic
Not Yet Wild

Old 09-27-2019, 10:14 PM   #8
jimmypearcevic
Not Yet Wild

Iv bypassed the solenoid as I couldn’t figure out why I wasn’t getting power to it to activate the solenoid. Iv ran a jump lead with a quick connect (black cable witch red connect in photo) to the input control terminal where the black/white and red cables connect and iv put all the actives together on one side of the solenoid. It seems to work now, however the resistor won’t be much.

The throttle control is micro 4 cci if that means anything. I disconnected the blue and green cables going in there and couldn’t get a voltage. Still confused as to where the problem is, but this seems to work. Hopefully it doesn’t cause any damage. When I pull the quick connect plug in the photo off it won’t move, so at least no one can steal it.

Old 09-27-2019, 10:30 PM   #9
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Take your DVM/VOM and with the key On, in Forward, and Go Pedal depressed (jack the cart up on one side), probe between the Black and White wire at the main contactor (solenoid) and the Main Pack Negative battery terminal for your 48v positive supply. If it is not present, back track to the FNR and micro-switches, then to the V-glide, and back up to the key switch until you find the loss. If it is present, then probe between the small Yellow wire at the opposite side of the solenoid and the Main Pack Positive battery terminal for your 48v negative supply. If it is not present, then run a jumper from the main pack negative over to the solenoid and determinate it where the small Yellow wire is now.
Old 09-28-2019, 12:58 AM   #10
jimmypearcevic
Not Yet Wild

Thx, that helped. I traced it to a hot joint at the ignition beside the dash. Now the solenoid engages with the pedal. Thx mate

Now it still goes, fast, then slow then fast ect randomly? Should I replace this

Thanks again for the help

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car