lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-08-2019, 04:51 PM   #1
Ania hughes
Not Yet Wild

Default Club car da wire getting hot

I have an 04 club car ds the orange wire from the forward reverse switch to the motor is getting really hot and then the cart will start to slow till I have no power when the wire cools off it will run again only for a few minutes
Ania hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-08-2019, 07:07 PM   #2
The Big Weezy
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Club car da wire getting hot

Sounds like you have a bad cable. Likely has internal resistance. Possibly a bad connection at either end of the cable. I would replace the cable and see if it improves. I would expect the rest of the cables to be of similar age and condition and could benefit from replacement as well.

If you wanted to test before replacement, connect volt meter at both ends and drive it. If the cable is okay, you should see close to 0 volts. If high internal resistance in the cable, then you should see some voltage on the volt meter display. I would prefer this voltage drop testing while driving the cart to load the circuit, but raising the drive wheels off the ground should work.

Or you could flip the switch to tow and remove the cable. Check resistance from one end of the cable to the other with an ohm meter. I would expect less than 1ohm. I do not prefer this test as it may not be as reliable as testing the circuit live and loaded.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
The Big Weezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:49 PM   #3
Ania hughes
Not Yet Wild

I took the wire off from the screw on top of the motor now the screw won’t tighten down onto the motor it just keeps turning did I break something taking wire off
Ania hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:47 PM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I am afraid so, You always need to use two wrenches on any Motor posts, one on the bottom nut against the motor to prevent the post from turning and one on the top nut to loosen the top nut.

The OEM Orange cable connects to one of the field wires inside the motor and that wire is spot welded to the end of the stud.

You will need a new or used motor unless you find a Motor repair shop near by that can fix that for you for a reasonable cost.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:18 PM   #5
alchemy
Gone Wild

Not hard to do if you don't do it much. I almost did that on mine to clean the connectors. Not sure how much I turned mine before I caught it, maybe half a turn, or how much it takes to break the wire off.
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 02:57 PM   #6
minks
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Club cart wire getting hot

just replaced my forward and reverse switch and now i no longer have reverse and 3 wires get warm kind of more than usual but this is my first golf cart, and the one with melted electrical tape the blue one gets very hot as you can tell by the melted electrical tape. the switch i previously replaced got so hot the plastic part melted (see picture). Any ideas on what else it could be? seems like maybe a resistance issue or too much or not enough voltage. It is a 98 club car that got a full Li Ion repower and the whole system is around 2-3 years old (i received it as a gift from a family memeber so unsure but they said that’s around when it was)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7422.jpg (22.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7421.jpg (23.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 71495741610__DE504657-FA34-4367-9323-9853FD2F1A32.jpg (18.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7420.jpg (27.4 KB, 0 views)
minks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 03:04 PM   #7
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

May be in your best interest to start your own thread. This one is several years old.
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car