lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-10-2019, 11:00 AM   #1
AKing5
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 2008 Club Car not as fast as when new

My parents just bought a 2008 Club Car from a family member. They stated that the cart was not as fast as it was when the first got it. How do we go about making it faster? I have a gas golf cart that I know you control speed with a governor on the motor but have no idea when it comes to an electric golf cart. Also it has new batteries.
AKing5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-10-2019, 08:10 PM   #2
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2008 Club Car not as fast as when new

The governor on a electric cart is called a speed sensor. It is located on the end of the motor with 3 wires coming out of it. Remove the sensor and replace the magnet with a high speed magnet. Reinstall sensor and you should have speeds approaching 25 mph. For safety disconnect batteries. Make use you have a IQ cart, 2008 should be an IQ but double check.
https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/p...otor-iq-system
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:49 PM   #3
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Walt is dead on with his recommendation. One thing to remember is the HS Magnet is changing the pulse count to the controller therefore your Regen brake is no longer operative.

If you want to go more then the speed magnet gives you, the next most economical approach to meet/exceed your goal is an Alltrax XCT-300 controller (https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/a...ct-controllers) which would be a bolt on replacement for your stock Curtis. This will give you 22-24 mph with stock tires and a strong pack. It also gives you complete control over the Regen, amperage, RPM, field maps, etc. along with a complete overview of operational permissive's to allow for easy troubleshooting via the Tool Kit and laptop PC.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:31 AM   #4
AKing5
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

The serial number has an AQ in front of it not an IQ. What do we do in this case? They def don't need it going 25mph but more like 15mph would be good. My gas golf cart goes around that speed and I believe that's the speed they would like. As it will be in a campground more than likely.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:41 AM   #5
tpdtopcop
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
Walt is dead on with his recommendation. One thing to remember is the HS Magnet is changing the pulse count to the controller therefore your Regen brake is no longer operative.

If you want to go more then the speed magnet gives you, the next most economical approach to meet/exceed your goal is an Alltrax XCT-300 controller (https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/a...ct-controllers) which would be a bolt on replacement for your stock Curtis. This will give you 22-24 mph with stock tires and a strong pack. It also gives you complete control over the Regen, amperage, RPM, field maps, etc. along with a complete overview of operational permissive's to allow for easy troubleshooting via the Tool Kit and laptop PC.
So you do the one way or the other but not both?
tpdtopcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 11:14 AM   #6
AKing5
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

So I can still do the high speed magnet? Just make sure it's for an AQ Club Car?
Old 10-11-2019, 11:29 AM   #7
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The AQ prefix denotes a DS IQ model so a speed magnet will work, just make sure you get the correct one since the DS likely had the old GE motor.

Check this link for pictures and differences between the GE and ADC motor magnets:
GE Motor: https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/p...otor-iq-system
ADC Motor: https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/p...otor-iq-system
Unless the existing magnet has broken and fallen off that is not your problem, unless You do want to go faster than it was going originally but without Regen brake.

If the magnet is still on the end of the Motor then you need a new speed sensor for You motor (GE and ADC are different).

For the other question, if you have an Alltrax controller You don't need a different magnet as the Controller allows for speed adjustment independent of the Regen adjustment.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 11:58 AM   #8
AKing5
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Is the magnet inside of the speed sensor?
Old 10-11-2019, 12:02 PM   #9
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKing5 View Post
Is the magnet inside of the speed sensor?
Yes, You need to either pop off the speed sensor using a flat head screwdriver if it is the GE motor or take off the 2 small screws if it is the "Top Hat" ADC model.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 10:14 PM   #10
Oldenglish82
Not Yet Wild

There is something else you can do as well. I learned this from David over it revolution golf carts.

If there is significant drop between when you press the pedal in when you hear the click you have a problem the spped magnet wont fix.

To diagnose the issue press your accelerator pedal with the key off. How much travel do you have between when you press it in when you hear click it should be relatively quick. If it is not then you have some play in the linkage and there is an easy way to fix it.

Lift the golf cart up on Asia yet on the passenger side and look up there will be a black Box I believe it's called a speed sensor box. That may not be correct term. There is a shaft that goes to a speed Box I might not be using the correct word their. Unscrew the speed Box 2 screws should be 8 mm. Pull the shaft off the pedal. It is connected to the black speed box. This shaft will have a plastic claw on the end. Take a piece of rubber fuel line put on the claw that is closest to the front of the golf cart then reassemble it.

A lot of times these wollow out and this prevents instant connection with the sensor on your pedal and the controller board.

I found out after doing the speed magnet that this was one of my problems. This is what David from Revolution Golf Carts suggested. Also if you want to see how I pulled the magnet check out my post.

Hope this helps.
Oldenglish82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car