lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-24-2019, 07:46 PM   #1
Rootman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Precedent 1-piece Windshield with Wiper Motor

I’m restoring a fleet of 2013 48v Precedents to become high-end rentals on the Island of Put-in-Bay. We experience torrential rain storms that appear outta nowhere, and then they dissipate minutes later. This plays havoc with visibility for unsuspecting golf cart drivers.

To combat this I’ve opted to install a one-piece windshield with a large integrated wiper on all my carts. The only company I found that sells a kit like this is Stenten’s Golf Car Parts & Accessories. Here‘s my review of their product along with photos of the installation process:
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-24-2019, 08:00 PM   #2
Rootman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Precedent 1-piece Windshield with Wiper Motor

The kit arrived in three boxes; included was a one-piece AS4 windshield with separate wind d*m, an aluminum cross member bar, and a 12v wiper motor. The provided instructions are extremely basic and they neglect to address half the included hardware.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:09 PM   #3
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Very interesting!
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 08:18 PM   #4
Rootman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Here’s the wiper motor; it mounts into the aluminum cross member and then through the windshield. Notice the rubber spacer between the bar and windshield; once tightened up everything become very ridged.

The wiper blade only has about 40 degree range of motion. There’s no key way on the splined wiper shaft, so lining it up properly is a PITA. If you center the range of motion on the windshield, then the blade parks itself right in front of the driver’s face. If you set it up so the blade parks itself parallel to the canopy top, (so it’s hidden) then the wiper will only clear the rain in a small section and the driver will need to arch his neck to see out. Also the blade’s too long, so it extends past the edge of the windshield if you park it parallel, (so you’d need a smaller blade for even less coverage).
Old 10-24-2019, 08:32 PM   #5
Rootman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Mounting the windshield is pretty straight forward. There’s rubber grommets on the bottom which the windshield rests on. Each side will later be attached with the included full-length plastic strut clamps, (which will reduce rattling down to almost zero). The top cross bar attaches using four included L-brackets. I’ll be drilling holes in it to run the loom wires through the center.

The mock-up install is finished for the night. I’ll complete this project tomorrow and post photos of the finished product along with my final analysis
Old 10-25-2019, 09:10 AM   #6
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Very nice!
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 11:53 AM   #7
_ogre
Golf Cart? oops 😉

Club Car

great idea, i know that street legal carts need a wiper, but what is the life span of a plastic windshield with a wiper on it?
any feed back from street legal carts here?

i drive a classic truck that i use rain-x on, it works so well that i have removed the wiper arms
you'd probably need to reapply rain-x weekly or bi-monthly, save a lot of windshield replacements
_ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 02:53 PM   #8
Rootman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I was shocked at how durable these plastic windshield are, (the quality ones anyways). Islanders have the best carts and their windshields outlast the rubber wiper blades. I’ve seen the wiper arms grind into the windshields here once the blade falls off, and that’s the first time you notice damage to the plexiglass.

The best option, (which you mentioned) is to put a RainX wiper on the cart and to keep the windshield clean from debris.
Old 10-25-2019, 02:56 PM   #9
Rootman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

You can always polish out scratches in a plexiglass windshield assuming it’s not a deep gouge.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:54 PM   #10
Rootman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I had to take a hiatus on this windshield install because fishing wires inside the front canopy struts is a PITA. Since I’m adding side view mirrors with running lights I wanted to wait for them to arrive so I could run all the wires at the same time.

The wiper motor power is a bigger gauge wire than the mirrors, so I drilled a 23/64” hole in the side of the strut right above the bottom bolts.

Next I ran a fish tape from the mirror mount all the way through the bottom of the strut. Finally I fed the mirror wires and sleeved everything in a loom.

Tags
club car, one-piece, precedent, windshield, wiper motor
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car