lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-28-2019, 06:19 PM   #1
alangsam
Getting Wild

Default 3rd blue wire in charge plug

I have a 2018 precedent 6x8v set up

First thing I noticed is that there are 3 wires coming from the charger
Plug obviously red and black for battery + and battery - but what is the third blue wire for?

On that note there is a blue wire connected to the negative of one of the middle batteries and other side to a breaker between the batteries connected other wire into the harness.

Thanks for the help in advance.
alangsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-28-2019, 07:13 PM   #2
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Default Re: 3rd blue wire in charge plug

Blue wire is the sense wire to enable charging. It's controlled normally by the OBC (On-board computer) which is the brains of the charging system. The blue sense wire has been known to be hooked to a negative terminal to force the charger to enable itself (happens if the OBC has failed in some way and some folks force it the charger on anyway) but the issue here is then it just runs indefinitely until the plug is pulled, which destroys batteries.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:29 PM   #3
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

I don't think the 2018 has an OBC.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:41 PM   #4
Bobbob
Gone Wild

Club Car

The blue wire goes to pin 5 on your controller which is the interlock. It prevents you from moving the cart when the charger is plugged in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bobbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 08:20 PM   #5
alangsam
Getting Wild

yes. Mine does not have an obc. Any idea what the blue wire is that’s connected to negative mid pack?
Old 10-28-2019, 08:26 PM   #6
Bobbob
Gone Wild

Club Car

My guess with out more information is it’s for your lights if you have lights on the cart. Not a good way to run the lights since it causes an imbalance for the batteries. Better off with a voltage reducer.

Bobbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 08:27 PM   #7
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by alangsam View Post
yes. Mine does not have an obc. Any idea what the blue wire is that’s connected to negative mid pack?
The blue wire that runs from your charge port to your controller is there so that the E.R.I.C. charger can communicate with your controller. This provides you a charger interlock that keeps the car from running while the charger is plugged in. It also allows the controller to log charge history, collect charge data, and monitor total energy consumption. The E.R.I.C. charger will work fine without this wire connected, but you'll lose the functions I just mentioned. The blue wire connected to your battery pack that runs down into the wire loom is the power cable for your headlight/taillight (bucket) harness.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 08:29 PM   #8
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbob View Post
My guess with out more information is it’s for your lights if you have lights on the cart. Not a good way to run the lights since it causes an imbalance for the batteries. Better off with a voltage reducer.

Agreed. But Club Car offers two different reducers. The standard 16 to 12 volt reducer and the optional 48 to 12 volt reducer. If the cart isn't ordered with the optional upgraded reducer, it gets the basic 16 to 12 version.
Old 10-28-2019, 08:59 PM   #9
alangsam
Getting Wild

Thank you. Yes cart does have an led head and tail light kit.
This information is helpful so it looks like a 16-12 setup. I have added a 48-12 to run a USB charger setup. I suppose if I could find all the wires I could set it up better.

So if the blue is the negative for the light kit where is the positive. There are no other wires to the battery pack?
Old 10-28-2019, 09:04 PM   #10
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by alangsam View Post
Thank you. Yes cart does have an led head and tail light kit.
This information is helpful so it looks like a 16-12 setup. I have added a 48-12 to run a USB charger setup. I suppose if I could find all the wires I could set it up better.

So if the blue is the negative for the light kit where is the positive. There are no other wires to the battery pack?
The blue is not the negative for the light kit. It's the positive. You are probably being misled by the fact that the wire is connected to the negative post of battery #4. The battery jumper wire on this terminal jumps to the positive terminal of battery number 5, therefore giving you the same result. The factory often connected the light power feed to the negative terminal to shorten the run because it was easier to reach. The 16 to 12 volt reducer uses the negative wire to reduce voltage. The negative feed of the light circuit is sourced from the yellow bullet connector in the bottom of the battery tub behind battery number 4. This 10 gauge wire is bolted to the B- terminal of the controller where it sources negative power from the main negative battery terminal, or battery number 6 negative. 16 volts of power from these two batteries are fed all the way to the dash through the blue wire and the black wire I just mentioned. Behind the dash, a T-Harness is installed and plugged into the 16 to 12 volt voltage reducer where it reduces the 16 volts to 12 volts for the light harness only, not affecting anything else in the car.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car