lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-19-2019, 09:38 PM   #1
fstop
Gone Wild

Default Squeaky Onward long top

Probably tough to eliminate all squeaks since these things move so much.

I've shimmed thin rubber pads between metal perimeter frame and the plastic top, and that has helped a lot, but has anybody been driven nuts by these squeaks and found a better solution?

Thanks!
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-19-2019, 09:53 PM   #2
jjjtadpole02
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Squeaky Onward long top

I have a Double Take top that drove me bonkers with squeaks and vibrations. I didn't want to drill out the rivets like others have done so I sprayed lithium grease where the rivets are and placed felt everywhere else between the track and the top. It restored my sanity thus far.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
jjjtadpole02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:31 AM   #3
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Foam tape is your friend. It works wonders on all kinds of squeaks on plastics.

TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:27 PM   #4
fstop
Gone Wild

Good suggestions - I guess I'll shim and tape judiciously until the thing goes quiet(er).

I wonder if anybody has tried nylon washers between the bolted connections? Could see it being better or worse...
Old 11-21-2019, 07:19 PM   #5
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstop View Post
Good suggestions - I guess I'll shim and tape judiciously until the thing goes quiet(er).

I wonder if anybody has tried nylon washers between the bolted connections? Could see it being better or worse...
They help. I like the foam tape better though. It's what the factory uses on their limo tops and it works really well.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:30 PM   #6
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
They help. I like the foam tape better though. It's what the factory uses on their limo tops and it works really well.
So if I drill out all the rivets holding the top to the aluminum frame so I can tape the entire perimeter, I wonder if I'll hear the rivet pieces inside the frame tube rattling around in there? Or would I have to remove the frame from the top and empty the pieces out of the aluminum channel sections and then put it all back together?

May just see if I can tame the issue as well as possible w/out removing the rivets, see how that goes. Don't don't want to make this too involved.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:47 PM   #7
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

In my experience, it's not the rivets that rattle. If they'd use more rivets and put them closer together it would help tremendously. It's the plastic skin of the top rattling against the aluminum frame underneath the top. Usually, I'll lift up the skin and put a piece of foam tape directly in the center of every two rivets in the top. This keeps the top from touching the frame.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:56 PM   #8
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
In my experience, it's not the rivets that rattle. If they'd use more rivets and put them closer together it would help tremendously. It's the plastic skin of the top rattling against the aluminum frame underneath the top. Usually, I'll lift up the skin and put a piece of foam tape directly in the center of every two rivets in the top. This keeps the top from touching the frame.
OK - I was thinking you removed the plastic top, foamed the entire surface and put it back together. What you're doing is basically what I'm doing, I'm just not using the adhesive yet until I know I have it in all the right places to kill the noise.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:49 PM   #9
jjjtadpole02
Not Yet Wild

I cut the felt strips to length and then put a piece of tape (doubled over) on the leading edge of the plastic covering the adhesive backing of the felt strips. Once I pushed each piece between the track and top, I pulled the tape so the backing would be removed and held the felt in place with my other hand as i traveled around the top. That way its stuck to the track and stops the top from vibrating against the track. The top still creaked so that's where the aerosol lithium grease came into play and hushed the plastic/rivet noise.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
jjjtadpole02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car