lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-22-2019, 08:57 AM   #1
TheNamesWes
Not Yet Wild

Smile Unknown part on club car ds

Hey everyone, first time posting on this board, definitely not my last. I'll try and be as descriptive as possible. The cart runs fine but I'm not getting any power to the headlights, turnsignals, and brake lights anymore. I'm pretty sure I had the lighting circuit hooked up wrong but I'm not sure what to do and how to hook any of it up. I'm not sure what this part is I'm attaching a picture of. That part has a red wire coming off that I had attached to the 48v positive and I think I blew the headlights and turn signals. Basically what I'm getting at is what is this part?? When I hooked it up I tore up the lights but I dont know where or how to hook it up properly so I can have functioning lights again. (edit: yes I know I'm probably going to have to replace some relays and bulbs)

If anyone needs me to send more pictures just ask. I also included a picture of the cart itself and the stickers under the passenger side glove box.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191121_185659.jpg (195.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20191117_183213.jpg (200.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20191119_160550.jpg (214.2 KB, 0 views)
TheNamesWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-22-2019, 09:29 AM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: Unknown part on club car ds

Hello tp BGW.

I'm not sure what that is. Are the 2 nuts holing down a cover on it? Neg. Block maybe? Some sort of reducer?

That cart is a factory refurb.

Are you saying you had no lights, hooked something in that box to pack 48v, then had lights for a short while after that?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 10:27 AM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

It's probably a voltage reducer of some sort, but it may not be a 48V reducer. It could be a 24v or 16v reducer in which case connecting it to 48v could have cooked it. Or it could just have failed due to age/corrosion.

I'd start from scratch. Get a new 48-12 reducer from one of our site sponsors, and install it where it's easier to get to than that. Then connect your headlight switch supply wire to the 12v output of the new reducer.
You'll also want to make sure the ground for your headlights goes back to a grounding block which should be connected to the B- terminal at the controller. This ensures the energy used by the headlights can be measured by the OBC (On-Board charge Computer) for proper re-charging of the pack.
Never ground lights or other accessories to the frame of an electric cart!
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 10:29 AM   #4
dlwilson
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I'm pretty sure that's your fuse block. If you take off the two nuts holding on the cover you should see four (?) 12V fuses. Check them and see if that's your problem.
dlwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 11:08 AM   #5
TheNamesWes
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
Hello tp BGW.

I'm not sure what that is. Are the 2 nuts holing down a cover on it? Neg. Block maybe? Some sort of reducer?

That cart is a factory refurb.

Are you saying you had no lights, hooked something in that box to pack 48v, then had lights for a short while after that?
I hooked it up to 48volts and when I turned on the headlights they popped, (fuse, bulbs I dont know) and the turn signals worked very briefly and now they are burnt aswell. I'm taking that cover off to see what it is I'll send more pictures if necessary.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:22 AM   #6
TheNamesWes
Not Yet Wild

Alright so I pulled the cover and it was a 4 port fuse block with 3 20 amp fuses. Fuses are fine so I think I blew the bulbs, this has got to be a 12v lighting circuit right? I'm gonna hook it back up to a 12v source and backtrace from the bulb to see what I broke.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191122_111337.jpg (205.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20191122_111457.jpg (197.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-22-2019, 11:27 AM   #7
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

That top fuse in the picture is blown.

Before replacing make sure you are measuring 12v on that fuse block.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 11:55 AM   #8
TheNamesWes
Not Yet Wild

I checked continuity on all 3 fuses i think the picture just looks like its blown, in person it has a solid connection. Front headlight bulbs are blown and I have voltage there. Headlights, taillights, and my relay for my turn signals have all burnt up, time for some LEDs.
Old 11-22-2019, 01:28 PM   #9
swb713
Gone Wild

Columbia

Cool Re: Unknown part on club car ds

Just make sure that you only connect it up to 12v power. Not the full 48v pack, or you will be buying lights yet again.
If it were Me, I would purchase a 48v to 12v reducer. This way, when pulling from the 48v pack, you are pulling from ALL of the pack and not just from just a portion of the pack. This will help keep your batteries in a more balanced State of Charge. Pulling from just a portion of the pack will unbalance the pack and put more of a strain on the full pack and lead to less battery life.
swb713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 05:01 PM   #10
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Where are you going to get the 12 volts? Either you have 12 volt batteries and tap one, or you have a 48 to 12 volt reducer, or either you have a separate 12 volt battery.

You need to determine what you have or are going to do before you do anything else.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
48v, club car, electric, lights
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car