lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-21-2020, 06:03 PM   #1
Whitb1187
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Club car charger clicks but not charging

I have a 03 club car ds. When I first noticed my cart wasn't charged all the way up after letting it charge all night I noticed that the chager cord itself wasnt plugged all the way into the wall outlet (one of the kids probably tripped over it and pulled it half way out). After I plugged it all the way in my charger only makes a click sound and does nothing else. I've checked all the fuses I'm cart and in charger and they all look good. Wall outlet is also good. Its a power drive2 charger if that helps. 48v cart
Whitb1187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-21-2020, 07:41 PM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Club car charger clicks but not charging

You can do a couple of quick tests to isolate the issue.

Unplug the charger from the wall and the cart.

Set the meter to Continuity test and place it on the blades of the charger AC plug.

There should be no continuity.

Connect the DC plug to the car receptacle.

When the charger relay clicks you should get continuity.

That will verify the relay, breaker and transformer are ok.

Measure the voltage between the cart receptacle + and - sockets, it should be about 5v less than pack voltage.

That will test the negative fuse.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 04:23 PM   #3
Whitb1187
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

All the tests on the AC plug of charger checked out. I moved on to test receptacle and only got 8v at it. The pack itself is 47.5v
Old 01-25-2020, 04:25 PM   #4
Whitb1187
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

If the negative fuse you're referring to is the big bolted on one on the back of the receptacle, I have already changed it out and still getting 8v reading at receptacle
Old 01-27-2020, 02:27 PM   #5
Whitb1187
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Still having issues. Haven't messed with it since the other day tho. My bro in law lives behind me and also has a 48v club car. I will plug his charger to my cart and my charger to his cart to see if that helps narrow down the issue.
Old 01-27-2020, 02:42 PM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

If You are getting 8v between the + and - at the cart receptacle, the OBC has failed.
Old 01-27-2020, 04:54 PM   #7
Whitb1187
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

That's what I was afraid of ��
Old 01-27-2020, 05:17 PM   #8
Whitb1187
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

If I bypass obc, can I still use my powerdrive2 charger? And will it not stop on its own anymore when it reaches it's charge?
Old 01-28-2020, 06:57 AM   #9
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

You have a split charging system, the OBC is the brains of the charger and the powerdrive box is just a power supply.

You cannot use the external Powerdrive box to charge the cart if there is not a working OBC.

It is not just a matter of adding an external timer, since there is no way to regulate the current so the powerdrive cannot provide the absorption phase of the charging cycle and your batteries will only get about 80% charged.

Before you pull out the OBC, follow the 10ga black wire from receptacle to the OBC and the 10ga black wire from the OBC to the Controller B- to make sure the wires and/or connections are not bad.

Otherwise you need to by-pass the OBC and get a smart charger.
Old 01-29-2020, 11:13 PM   #10
Whitb1187
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I'll check all that out this weekend. Also now that u have me thinking about all the wires going back to the controller made me just think how I recently just upgraded all my cables in the cart a few months back and the wire that goes thru the obc I had to cut the crimp off of it to get it to go thru and then crimp a new lug on it and I do remember thinking what a crappy crimp job my cheap crimpers did. Might be something to look at also. Thanks for the help. I'll keep you posted
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car