lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-25-2020, 07:58 AM   #11
Dragracer_Art
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: I am beyond livid and seeing red now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
P.S. I am familiar with the complications and difficulties associated with removing and installing a solenoid.
I did not mean to sound brash. I apologize for speaking while frustrated.

My day job is to manage and maintain a small fleet of electric forklifts, material handlers and personnel carriers. Approx 45 units in all... and Ive been turning wrenches for 37 years.

Its incredibly frustrating to see the parts market so saturated with chinese garbage.
Dragracer_Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-25-2020, 08:06 AM   #12
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Even more frustrating is that the American "Good guys" sublet the assembly to Chinese factories to save money and be more price competitive. We hand them our design and engineering, then "trust" them not to use it against us.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 08:58 AM   #13
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Unfortunately many members have lost a Curtis controller due to a diode installed backwards across the coil and while a shorted solenoid coil is unusual, it would have the same effect on those controllers.

The Alltrax XCT solenoid driver is current limited and it will handle a direct short as some members that accidentally wired theirs backwards have verified.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 09:04 AM   #14
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragracer_Art View Post
I did not mean to sound brash. I apologize for speaking while frustrated.

My day job is to manage and maintain a small fleet of electric forklifts, material handlers and personnel carriers. Approx 45 units in all... and Ive been turning wrenches for 37 years.

Its incredibly frustrating to see the parts market so saturated with chinese garbage.
No worries. I understand your frustration. I did not think this was possible. Never heard of it happening.

I have had bad new solenoids. Several in the last year. Never caused another problem though.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 09:10 AM   #15
Dragracer_Art
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Unfortunately many members have lost a Curtis controller due to a diode installed backwards across the coil and while a shorted solenoid coil is unusual, it would have the same effect on those controllers.

The Alltrax XCT solenoid driver is current limited and it will handle a direct short as some members that accidentally wired theirs backwards have verified.
It was definitely shorted.
After removing the solenoid... I hit it with 48v direct from the pack. It did nothing, but I got sparks when I touched wires to the battery.

Super frustrating.

David will be getting an Alltrax + solenoid order from me shortly.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:19 AM   #16
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

While the circumstances behind this upgrade are upsetting, I think you will be pleased with the new setup.

If you have not yet smashed that solenoid, hit the body with a hammer since a stuck plunger is a more likely scenario, if the coil wires were shorted, they would have burned immediately when you applied 48v due to the high current.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 09:30 AM   #17
Dragracer_Art
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
While the circumstances behind this upgrade are upsetting, I think you will be pleased with the new setup.

If you have not yet smashed that solenoid, hit the body with a hammer since a stuck plunger is a more likely scenario, if the coil wires were shorted, they would have burned immediately when you applied 48v due to the high current.
Im waiting for the Amazon return authorization before smashing with a hammer or using it for target practice.

I did manage to make it work a few times after poking around the contact under the bottom cup.

I will never trust another one.

If nothing else... this thread should serve as a warning to others trying to save a few dollars.

In the end... the $40 I saved on a solenoid from amazon has likely cost me two controllers... and now another $600+ for a replacement Alltrax/solenoid combo.

Lesson learned.
Old 01-25-2020, 10:31 AM   #18
Dragracer_Art
Gone Wild

Club Car

Just ordered the 500a Alltrax and solenoid from David.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car