lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-25-2020, 06:07 PM   #1
barlowchiro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default What are these?

Taking the 2001 Club Car DS apart and ran into a few things I just wanted to know what they are and what they do.

Second photo had red wire going to the positive post of battery #2 and several small wires run into the wiring loom on the passenger side.

Photo #3 is on the driver side of the support that is behind your legs when you are seated. Had two plugs in it. Top plug went back to the thing in photo #1 I think. Second plug had two wires going into the wire loom that came out of photo #2.

Thanks guys!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg InkedIMG_5102_LI.jpg (866.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg InkedIMG_5135_LI.jpg (875.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg InkedIMG_5136_LI.jpg (839.7 KB, 0 views)
barlowchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-25-2020, 06:18 PM   #2
S-N-R Customs
Gone Wild

Default Re: What are these?

Best guess from the photos... Looks like an old transformer to step the voltage down and a place to wire 12v electronics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
S-N-R Customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 07:07 PM   #3
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

1- 16-12 volt reducer, one end goes to main pack negative, hook other end to negative wire for lights etc. get positive from number 5 battery positive post or number 4 negative post same wire just different end.

3- is just a terminal block. It is not connected to anything, most use it to hook all negative wires and the pack negative for lights etc.

I'm lost on number 2
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 07:49 PM   #4
barlowchiro
Gone Wild

Club Car

The thing in photo #1 has one wire coming into it, that wire is connected to the thing in photo 3. The other end of the thing in photo #1 connects to the factory controller.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5142.jpg (28.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-25-2020, 07:49 PM   #5
barlowchiro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post
1- 16-12 volt reducer, one end goes to main pack negative, hook other end to negative wire for lights etc. get positive from number 5 battery positive post or number 4 negative post same wire just different end.

3- is just a terminal block. It is not connected to anything, most use it to hook all negative wires and the pack negative for lights etc.

I'm lost on number 2
#3 did have two wires connected to it.

1 wire went to thing in photo #1. The other wire went into a wire loom that looks like it may have come from photo #2.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:09 PM   #6
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Ok photo 3 is where you get negative for lights etc. the connection to the controller should be on negative cable of controller good thing.

Now to run lights put negative to 3 photo and positive to battery 5 positive

Really the best thing is get rid of photo 1 item and install a 48-12 volt reducer. Photo 3 is ok and can be used as negative block.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:39 PM   #7
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

Personally I don't like grounding to the frame on an electric cart which I think is what photo #3 eventually accomplishes. Not grounding to the frame is also the consensus on the forum. Better off with a grounding block that connects to negative battery like a fuse block with buss bar.
golf cart man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 03:41 AM   #8
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf cart man View Post
Personally I don't like grounding to the frame on an electric cart which I think is what photo #3 eventually accomplishes. Not grounding to the frame is also the consensus on the forum. Better off with a grounding block that connects to negative battery like a fuse block with buss bar.

I agree about ground to frame. I'm pretty sure that is made of Bakelite and not connected to the frame. Need to check to be sure. I had the same thing on a 99 DS and it was isolated.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:48 AM   #9
barlowchiro
Gone Wild

Club Car

OK, so it looks like these three things are working together to likely power my headlights/tail lights. I bought the 48v to 12v reducer from ScottyB along with a fuse box/buss bar, so I'll likely just remove these three items and be done with it.

I'll do more investigation into the series of wires that go to photo #2 and confirm that the wires are indeed to the head lights and tail lights.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:02 AM   #10
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Photo 2 just might be a timer to tun brake lights off when you set park brake.

The spot on the controller where the reducer is connected will be a great place to connect you negative from the new reducer as well as your negative fuse block.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car