lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-04-2020, 04:42 PM   #1
Jsmth86
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Lights and rocker switch

I am installing a new dash and want to eliminate my push/pull switch with a rocker switch. I plan on installing a 4 gang rockers with fuses and powered by a 48-12v 30 amp reducer. I am having problems envisioning how to wire the headlight/taillights.

Would I connect the positive blue wire to the positive on the reducer then connect the wires that go to the push/pull knob to the rocker switch? Am I way off on my thinking?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Jsmth86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-04-2020, 05:29 PM   #2
pattyandrick
Getting Wild

Default Re: Lights and rocker switch

The ground is not the frame though. Do if thr rockers are lighted you will need a ground

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
pattyandrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 06:16 PM   #3
Jsmth86
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks- main question is how would I wire the lights. Currently there is a wire going to battery positive and negative going to the negative between the controller and obc. There also are 2 wires that go to the pull switch. Can I supply power to the rocker panel from the reducer, connect the positive from the light that is currently connected to the battery pack to the positive on the rocker and splice the two wires going to the pull switch together? Basically using the rocker switch to turn power to the light on and off?

Sorry - not an expert when it comes to electrical. Just enough to be dangerous!
Jsmth86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 06:01 AM   #4
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

When you are considering a reducer, think of it like a separate 12V battery from which you will power all your 12V stuff.

So this means that the reducer has a +48V cable coming from the positive of battery one and a -48V cable going to the negative between the controller and obc. If you have a reducer with a "trigger" wire (& they are the best) then the trigger wire connects to the "cold" side of the key switch (the side that only has power when the key is switched on). Once you have it connected like this then you can just think of it as a 12V battery with a 30A output.

The output from the reducer will have a +12V wire and a -12V wire (the negative might be the same wire as the -48V wire but often it is a separate negative just for the 12V system).

Each accessory has its positive going to the +12V connector and its negative going to the -12V connector. This is best done through separate fuses for each accessory (on the positive line). Your fused gang switches would be fine for that.

So the positive of your lights will be connected to one of the gang switches (through its fuse) and the negative will go back to the -12V on the reducer. (the best way to do that is to install a negative buss - the -ve from the reducer goes to the buss and the negatives from each accessory goes back to the buss). Just to be clear you would have a positive from the reducer to the gang switches common terminal then a positive from one of the switches fused connector to the lights. The negative from the lights goes back to the -12V of the reducer (preferably through a negative buss for neater wiring).

The other gang switches can be used in the same way for other accessories. So each accessory is controlled individually by a gang switch but the whole lot are controlled by the reducer (if the reducer is off when the key switch is off then the accessories will be off even if the gang switch is on.

Make sure the gang switches can handle the current pulled by the lights (or any other accessory that is connected). In the case of the lights if you use LED lights there should be no problem.

I hope that has helped and hasn't confused you.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car