lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-05-2020, 08:26 PM   #1
barlowchiro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Uh-oh

Ok, so little problem. I installed the motor this weekend. The three bolts that hold the motor didn’t seem to wanna tighten down all the way. Just couldn’t get them snug.

Went out tonight to try and snug them up. Was tightening one and heard a “snap”. I thought uh-oh. Broken bolt stuck inside of motor. Luckily, the bolt backed all the way out and didn’t leave any in the motor. So I went ahead and removed all three and ordered new ones.

So here’s a picture of them. They all look “stressed and squeezed” at about the same point.

What do you guys think happened? Chances that the new bolts do the same thing??
barlowchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-05-2020, 08:42 PM   #2
S-N-R Customs
Gone Wild

Default Re: Uh-oh

Without being there to see it, I’m going to guess the threaded holes in the new motor are not as deep as the old motor....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
S-N-R Customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 08:44 PM   #3
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

The motor is not installed completely into the case. Remove motor and find out why before you damage somethings trying to force it. Those bolts have been way over torqued. Check the torque for those bolts. Snug is not 100lbs.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 08:52 PM   #4
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Quick shearch shows 20-40 ft lbs for those bolts. They are only holding to keep motor from sliding off. The really just need to be tight enough to keep them from falling out.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:56 PM   #5
barlowchiro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post
The motor is not installed completely into the case. Remove motor and find out why before you damage somethings trying to force it. Those bolts have been way over torqued. Check the torque for those bolts. Snug is not 100lbs.
I have a call into D&D, their tech asked me to take the little silver cap off the end of the motor and take a picture to send him tomorrow. He wants to see if the motor was damaged during shipment or not.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:58 PM   #6
barlowchiro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post
Why do you say the motor is not installed completely in the case? Is it because of the gap between the motor and the housing?
Old 02-05-2020, 09:21 PM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

When you push the motor onto the trans does the case of the motor sit all the way up perfectly flat against the bellhousing? It should push on all the way with little or no force. If it won’t push on all the way, something is wrong and it needs to be removed to find out why.

That’s a 1/4-20 thread bolt, 25ft lbs will stretch it. Those can be snapped off with one hand and a wrench. Typical maximum torque for a bolt that size is about 10ft lbs.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 09:38 PM   #8
barlowchiro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
When you push the motor onto the trans does the case of the motor sit all the way up perfectly flat against the bellhousing? It should push on all the way with little or no force. If it won’t push on all the way, something is wrong and it needs to be removed to find out why.

That’s a 1/4-20 thread bolt, 25ft lbs will stretch it. Those can be snapped off with one hand and a wrench. Typical maximum torque for a bolt that size is about 10ft lbs.
Well then I definitely over torqued it. Didn't think I was tightening that hard, but I guess I was.

When I loosed the bolt that is in the lower front part of the motor, the motor will get more flush with the bellhousing. I think I over tightened that bolt in the lower front and it made the motor not sit all the way flat against the bellhousing and I tried to make it flat by over tightening the 3 bolts.

I'll send the pics to D&D and see what they say. Make sure the motor in in the casing as it should be and then install my new bolts and get those tightened down to the proper spec before I tighten the bolt in the lower front.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:44 PM   #9
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The information I found says those 1/4-20 × 2-1/4 bolts are torqued to 65 in-lb
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 09:46 PM   #10
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

My bad I was thinking 3/8 in bolts.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car