lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-24-2013, 02:47 AM   #21
scotter
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: club car DS continues to burn up V Glide

What year is your buggy? Is the cart all stock or have you upgraded something? Vglide melting is the symptom to the problem. I'm thinking motor is worn causing an increase in amp draw greater than vglide can handle.
scotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-27-2013, 04:17 PM   #22
bailey62
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Ok I'll answer my own question!!!!
I just found that the resistor coil is broken and that's why the v-glide is burning up.
bailey62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:16 PM   #23
scotter
Gone Wild

Club Car

Or, a coil is broken. Good catch. Hope that gets and keeps you fixed!
Old 09-01-2013, 07:31 PM   #24
Stumpy225
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

My V-glide burned up on hills but would do 26mph on flat ground. Went ahead and upgraded to solid state from ScottyB.
Stumpy225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:34 AM   #25
jet-doc
Not Yet Wild

I have a 1989 club car ds 36V golf cart have had it and used it camping for the past 3 years up hills and through sand. In November 2013 the cart burned up it's first Vglide I replaced that vglide and the second one burnt out we believed because it was not adjusted properly. Replaced my 3rd vglide adjusted correctly replaced battery cables and cleaned everything while on level ground the cart ran fine as soon as the cart experienced any stress the third vglide burnt up I am going broke from this thing and like I said it ran like a champ for 3 years why now also batteries are 1 year old just replaced??????
I went and bought a gas cart but now I have to do something with this one I opened the motor but cant find anything wrong bearing and brushes look good?? armature is not shiny but I am not sure what the armature should look like on these motors?????
I am at wits end and 300.00 in the hole and I need to fix this to sell it :(

Any ideas??? I am out of ideas except it might just need a new motor....
jet-doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:49 AM   #26
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet-doc View Post
I have a 1989 club car ds 36V golf cart have had it and used it camping for the past 3 years up hills and through sand. In November 2013 the cart burned up it's first Vglide I replaced that vglide and the second one burnt out we believed because it was not adjusted properly. Replaced my 3rd vglide adjusted correctly replaced battery cables and cleaned everything while on level ground the cart ran fine as soon as the cart experienced any stress the third vglide burnt up I am going broke from this thing and like I said it ran like a champ for 3 years why now also batteries are 1 year old just replaced??????
I went and bought a gas cart but now I have to do something with this one I opened the motor but cant find anything wrong bearing and brushes look good?? armature is not shiny but I am not sure what the armature should look like on these motors?????
I am at wits end and 300.00 in the hole and I need to fix this to sell it :(

Any ideas??? I am out of ideas except it might just need a new motor....

. . have you checked your resistor bank for loose connections and/or broken coils? Did you read ScottyB's posts #9 and #15 in this thread?
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:03 AM   #27
MudHog
South LA Coonass
Yamaha

Is there a way to check the coil or is it simply looking for a broke coil? If the coil is in tact, it's OK? No way to ohm check them for proper resistance?
MudHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:28 PM   #28
scotter
Gone Wild

Club Car

With regard to Resistor Coils...
I just recently did a total refurbishment on my '88 V-Glide DS Cart. When "renewing" the Resistors and Resistor Board, I had the Resistor Coils media blasted to clean them up. I inspected them and noticed that the 2nd speed coil had a crack going 75% through the wire coil. It was still intact, but clearly less than OEM spec. I replaced the coil (no, I didn't notice any issues, but I rarely run only in 2nd speed). Point is, I would not have even known the coil was cracked unless I had cleaned and inspected it (mine had dirt and rust from 26 years of use).
Old 04-25-2014, 06:33 PM   #29
jet-doc
Not Yet Wild

I am having the same issue after using my cart camping all terrains including sand and a steep hill for the past 3 years and now all of a sudden I am burning up Vglides just as the gentleman above states. I can only guess the motor is getting old and weak for me burning up the vglide included the wiper arm melting and the brass shoes usually the top one melting into the plastic case. this has not been fun cost me $200.00 on Vglides and now I have come to a halt cant afford this also I took my motor apart bearing is good and the brushes are still long and look good armature has like a coating its strange but not sure if it is supposed to be like that or bare metal???
The stators are in rough shape not sure how it is even supposed to look.
Anyone know where I can get a cheap clubcar motor?? I just want to get this thing running so I can sell it I went over to gas less headaches...

Thanks
jet-doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:14 PM   #30
Harlow42
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Disconnect the batteries so as to not have any current available.
Remove the V Glide cover and using a feeler gauge, make sure that the carbon V Glide Wiper Brush has the same pressure/contact with each of the copper pads
From the bottom all the way to the top pad.
To me, it sounds like your Wiper Brush is not making consistent contact and may be arcing, thus burning up a pad??

Hah, Failed to read Scotties posts #9 #15 & #28, bad resister coil causing too high of amp load

Last edited by Harlow42; 08-14-2019 at 09:30 PM.. Reason: Failure to read ALL,, Posts first
Harlow42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car