lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-26-2009, 10:30 AM   #1
rleetsc
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Extra Battery

Now that I have added a headunit and the LEDs to my cart I am deciding between purchasing an extra battery or a voltage reducer. I am kind of leaning toward the battery option but the issue is where to put it more than anything. The only location on my cart to put another battery is the bag well which I already have plans for and may have to modify a bit to make space for another battery. My question to you guys is:

1. Which would you recommend (Battery for Reducer)?
2. If a Reducer, which one? / If a battery, which one?

Note: Battery wise I am looking toward a blue or yellow top Optima.

Thanks!
rleetsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-26-2009, 11:56 AM   #2
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Default Re: Extra Battery

My opinion for a Precedent 48 volt IQ

I'd go with this Voltage Reducer,http://www.everythingcarts.com/p-115...2v-25-amp.aspx (one that I've been looking at,) since it can handle up to 25 amps and is just a bit more than the 10 amp kind. If it were me I'd also have a separate On/Off switch for it as well. With your 4-12 volt batteries you've got enough pack amperage to go 30+ miles before you hit your 50% pack depletion of 48.41 volts, that is if you’re not hill climbing all the time. That said why go with an extra battery that takes up space and will need to be charged separately.

I'm sure you'll hear otherwise as well so good luck with your final decision.
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 03:34 PM   #3
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

I agree with Scubabud IF you want a voltage reducer? Go with a FULL PACK VOLTAGE REDUCER.
You have not mentioned other things like sound systems and radios and recorders that become common as after thoughts on golf cars.
What isnt mentioned is the problems that are associated with this set up.
Power sensative items like radio, amps and players do not like variations of voltage that occur whenever you step down on pedal, and high and low wattage lights as well but to a lesser amount. Lights dimming out under heavy foot action is also common.
Then there is the problem of picking up brush noise from motors that can stop the use of FM?
I have solved most of these problems by using a separate battery. I use an extra handicapped scooter deep cycle battery that is small enough to even be put in glove box as its only 71/4"X51/2"X 71/2" and can be put in any position as its a sealed battery. Then when radio was installed I added a marine antenna so that its less able to pick up motor sounds.
This setup for my use only requires charging twice a month and in my case is hooked up so when key is off the system is also dead. This makes sure that I dont forget to turn it off.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:03 PM   #4
rleetsc
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Now I am torn even more after hearing from both of you guys. I really like the reducer option because it keeps me from having to deal with another battery charger but I had not previously considered a small battery such as one for a scooter. As I mentioned in my first post I have already added an Alpine headunit which is pushing two Memphis coaxial speakers as well as underbody LEDs. The plan within the next 30 to 60 days is to install the other 2 component speakers as well as a subwoofer with amplifier. I've already setup my headunit with a switch so that will not be an issue.

Anybody else have any opinions on this?
Old 04-26-2009, 06:58 PM   #5
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD MEC View Post
I agree with Scubabud IF you want a voltage reducer? Go with a FULL PACK VOLTAGE REDUCER.
You have not mentioned other things like sound systems and radios and recorders that become common as after thoughts on golf cars.
What isnt mentioned is the problems that are associated with this set up.
Power sensative items like radio, amps and players do not like variations of voltage that occur whenever you step down on pedal, and high and low wattage lights as well but to a lesser amount. Lights dimming out under heavy foot action is also common.
Then there is the problem of picking up brush noise from motors that can stop the use of FM?
I have solved most of these problems by using a separate battery. I use an extra handicapped scooter deep cycle battery that is small enough to even be put in glove box as its only 71/4"X51/2"X 71/2" and can be put in any position as its a sealed battery. Then when radio was installed I added a marine antenna so that its less able to pick up motor sounds.
This setup for my use only requires charging twice a month and in my case is hooked up so when key is off the system is also dead. This makes sure that I dont forget to turn it off.
Old Mec brings up several valid points but remember that THIS reducer/converter works by delivering a solid 12 volts DC from a power source from as high as 48 volts to as low as 24 volts so varying voltages by cart usage shouldn't be a problem. I've attached a picture of the installation instructions to this voltage reducer as well. As far as Radio Noise an inline Noise Filter added to the power lead to your power amp and/or radio will take care of most of it along with a good solid ground for your radio and also radio antenna. AM is not going to work very well for ya though!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p-1151-red0002inst.jpg (37.2 KB, 34 views)
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:13 PM   #6
rleetsc
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubabud View Post
Old Mec brings up several valid points but remember that THIS reducer/converter works by delivering a solid 12 volts DC from a power source from as high as 48 volts to as low as 24 volts so varying voltages by cart usage shouldn't be a problem. I've attached a picture of the installation instructions to this voltage reducer as well. As far as Radio Noise an inline Noise Filter added to the power lead to your power amp and/or radio will take care of most of it along with a good solid ground for your radio and also radio antenna. AM is not going to work very well for ya though!
Not too concerned with AM now that my local talk radio show is on FM. ;) Honestly I have not connected an antenna up at all to my headunit yet as I purchased the one I have specifically because I can connect my iPhone to it or a USB drive and play my music from it. I am leaning toward the reducer for sure at this point. Still weighing it out though.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:22 PM   #7
gsf35099
Gone Wild

Club Car

The cool thing I like about the reducer is that it uses the entire pack (even work load from each bat) and does not require any charging mod's. I can just plug my cart into the charger and let it do its job. I have a 25 amp reducer that works great on my 36v cart.
gsf35099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:52 AM   #8
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

what year is cart? have you checked to make sure theres not a reducer on it?..................if not i agree with the others go with a reducer.......................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:53 AM   #9
rleetsc
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
what year is cart? have you checked to make sure theres not a reducer on it?..................if not i agree with the others go with a reducer.......................
It's a 2005 Club Car Precedent
Old 04-27-2009, 11:59 AM   #10
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

2005 may have a reducer ( maybe ) so you might want to check.......look behind the drivers side batteries on frame rail see if theres a box mounted there.........thats where they put them on most of the carts.................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car