lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-17-2010, 09:36 AM   #1
CULO
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default Charging system upgrade

Hello everyone, I have a 1991 G9 with a 23 horse B&S. The system doesn't really charge at idle or low rpm so if I am using the lights, radio, P.A, ect. I am drawing from the system. I was wondering if anyone knows of an upgrade I could do that would be more effective. I have relied on the vast knowledge here on BGW in the past and really appreciate all the help given to me, THANKS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MOTOR.jpg (46.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg cart.jpg (119.0 KB, 11 views)
CULO is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-17-2010, 09:49 AM   #2
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Charging system upgrade

Nice cart, wish I knew the answer for you but when I do a swap this info will be helpfull for me also. One thing I thought about was a bigger or better battery with as much reserve capacity possible. How many amps or voltage does ur system put out at certain rpms? Have you done a check at different rpms? Reason I ask is we used to put a fast idle setup on our vehicles back in the days for our charging systems when we used to run a loud sterio for a vehicle when parked. We also had a couple of batteries but batteries dont do crap if you dont have enough juice to keep em charged.
BLACK DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:07 AM   #3
CULO
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DEATH View Post
Nice cart, wish I knew the answer for you but when I do a swap this info will be helpfull for me also. One thing I thought about was a bigger or better battery with as much reserve capacity possible. How many amps or voltage does ur system put out at certain rpms? Have you done a check at different rpms? Reason I ask is we used to put a fast idle setup on our vehicles back in the days for our charging systems when we used to run a loud sterio for a vehicle when parked. We also had a couple of batteries but batteries dont do crap if you dont have enough juice to keep em charged.
Hi, I have a new battery and I don't have any problems unless I sit with my lights, radio, ect for an extended period. I did test my batteries output at one time thinking i had problems before I figured out the draw at low idle. I put a meter on the battery and took it down the road, the output steadily increased to about14 volts maxing out at around 2000/3000 rpms. I could just use it the way it is, with a little common sense but there are times when I want to use the lights/radio and it would make life easier if there were an upgrade.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:12 AM   #4
decipher
Gone Wild
Yamaha

in my g1 project and my 25hp kohler with a 15 amp stator i plan on using a starter generator to charge the battery for lights radio etc and use the internal stator to charge a battery for starting. If i can make this work.
decipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:23 AM   #5
CULO
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by decipher View Post
in my g1 project and my 25hp kohler with a 15 amp stator i plan on using a starter generator to charge the battery for lights radio etc and use the internal stator to charge a battery for starting. If i can make this work.

Keep me posted on how that works out. Would like to not worry about the draw at low idle.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:55 PM   #6
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

You need the engine RPM's for the charging system output to keep your battery charged. At idle and low RPM's it just isn't going to happen. Decipher's idea of a second battery for the accessories is a good one- maybe use a deep-cycle battery because you will be draining it down a lot. Standard batteries don't like to be deep-cycled and will be damaged if operated this way. Keep your second battery charged using an isolator like RV's do. That way you still have a fresh battery to start your buggy even if the accessory battery is weak.
Instead of a starter/generator, how about rigging up an automotive- style belt-driven alternator for more juice? If your clutch has a sheave for the s/g it shouldn't be a problem to fab up a bracket for an alternator. Most alternators of this type are internally regulated, so wiring is simple. The down side is it will probably rob some HP to run this setup.
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:46 PM   #7
yamahag9er
Fry's Golf Carts

Club Car

Sorry Jon, but I don't have a good answer for you on this one. The only thing I can think of is what was already mentioned of running a starter/generator or something similar, but that primary clutch is not set up for that. There are tons of upgrades for these Briggs motors, but I have not heard of any upgrades for the charging systems. One guy who probably would know would be Frank at Alpha carts. He does alot of work with these motors. I bought that primary clutch and performance intake from him. A great guy to deal with.
yamahag9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:19 PM   #8
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Culo, been thinkin on the same thing myself...... What about a spare 12v or two in the bagwell, marine type multi charger with a "sparkie" type plug in for the extension cord thr the body and maybe a battery selector switch to just run the accessories off the spares when parked? Never worry about being stranded, worst case your tunes go dead, and more ballast for the wheelies????
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:09 AM   #9
CULO
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Lot's of good ideas guys, thanks Gonna think about it for awhile before I decide what I wanna do.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!