lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-16-2008, 11:22 PM   #1
AugustaResident
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Trying Understand the Precedent IQ Controller

First off thanks to the owner and contributors of this forum. I see wealth of info just waiting to be learned. I am a former EZGO owner having converted my 2001 TXT to 48 volts, 600 amp AXE, high speed/torque motor/cables/bars, etc...you know the usual. I am well "schooled" on that subject. Now enter the 2004 Precedent my kids "made" me buy this weekend.

I want to understand how the IQ system works. Is the IQ just another name for the controller? Is the "speed code" programmed in the actual speed controller? If so, what is it seeing to regulate the speed, motor rpm?

I assume ours still has the stock speed code (perhaps a 3) as the speed is 16.2 mph. If I have this updated to the (4) 19 mph code, what else can I do to bump the speed to at least 22-25 mph range? If the controller changed to the Alltrax, would this do away with the speed codes?

While I don't want to go overboard on this Precedent, I do want to have close to secondary street speeds which is 25 mph here. Coming from the EZGO than ran a consistant 28 mph, this one feels like a slug. Maybe that is a good thing but maybe for someone else!

Any help or explainations is appreciated.

-Craig
AugustaResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-17-2008, 03:41 PM   #2
phasetim
Just me. .

Club Car

Default Re: Trying Understand the Precedent IQ Controller

Same story on this car as the last. You have to upgrade parts to make it faster. The speed setting will make it go 19, but you have to have that done at a dealer. They have to take info from your controller send it to Club Car and then wait for the numbers to return.

As far as upgrading parts, I'm sure the possibilities are endless. I use an alltrax controller to boost speed on some of my rebuilds for golf courses. If you need more torque I would look at controller/motor combos. My personal favorites are either G.E. or alltrax controllers and G.E. motors. A lot of good things are said about E.M.P.'s motors and D&D has a good repoir as well. I'm sure you had fun figuring out the first one, just have fun again :-)
phasetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:47 PM   #3
AugustaResident
Getting Wild
Club Car

Yeah, The EZGO was a walk in the park alright! Geeeeez

I have never in my life asked to be spoon fed on anything and don't want to be on this golf cart but I have been reading and searching for two days now trying to understand the IQ function on the Precedent and still there isn't a lot of info out there, or at least I can't seem to land on it. Oh fear not, I'll get it going the way I want alright. Getting the access codes is not a problem as I am 3 miles from Club Car Plant and with the "local" friendly R&D shop, they will have you fixed up instantly. However, any modifications that carry beyond the code private 4 speed is a closely guarded secret. I was told for liabilty issues.

I don't want to go down EZGO road again. I like most others, did not have a clue as to what you are in for when going from 36 to 48 on that cart. Dang stock bolts would even overheat.... I tell ya, between #2 cables, new bolts, buss bars, controller, the f/r switch, the solenoid....heck the list just keeps getting longer and the motor trial and error, that is a whole story in itself. Time to sell it but I think I'll return it to stock or find someone that wants to do a trade on my parts vs stock parts.

The hunt goes on.....I'll chase part numbers etc and get it right one of these days.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:54 PM   #4
phasetim
Just me. .

Club Car

To be spoon fed info, I won't tell you much more than the alltrax controller and maybe a new G.E. motor. As well as a #4 wire kit..etc...

E.M.P. has a real good service dept. You can call them and tell them what you want, and tehy will tell you what to do to get there. On top of that I think they are one of the people who help pay for this board (they used to be).
Old 11-17-2008, 08:17 PM   #5
AugustaResident
Getting Wild
Club Car

Andrea, I think is her name at EMP, has got me on the right trail I believe. Gonna have a part in a couple weeks that may just do what I am wanting. I am thinking Alltrax after that just in case the torque is suffering.
Hey, I do appreciate your replies and suggestions. One thing I will do is open my ears and "listen" !!

Oh yeah, I still have about 45 feet of number 2 cable with some really nice HD lugs. You think they would be any advabtage over the 4's or overkill? One thing about the 2, I already have some of that roll left over from the EZGO.

Thanks again and I'll keep the board posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasetim View Post
To be spoon fed info, I won't tell you much more than the alltrax controller and maybe a new G.E. motor. As well as a #4 wire kit..etc...

E.M.P. has a real good service dept. You can call them and tell them what you want, and tehy will tell you what to do to get there. On top of that I think they are one of the people who help pay for this board (they used to be).
Old 11-17-2008, 08:23 PM   #6
phasetim
Just me. .

Club Car

The I.Q. function is basically a controller programming ability. there are 4 speed settings the highest locked by club car, that is the 19mph, over that there are no stock speeds. It also allows control of electronic braking. It gives a display of error codes when things go wrong as well.

A programmable alltrax has the same functions with more flexibility as long as you have a laptop and a serial cable.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:24 PM   #7
phasetim
Just me. .

Club Car

At some point the cable is stronger than the interior parts of the motor or controller. You want something on the outside to the the weakest link.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car