lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-31-2011, 06:41 PM   #1
Scottn29
Not Yet Wild

Default Need some help from somebody that has rebuilt a Pulsar coil 2pg completely

I am trying to figure out the difference from a 80 points based to the 81-88 pulsar based ignition. I bought another cart that I was told was a 85 and it is a 80 :)

So I bought a complete rebuild kit for a 80-88, came across this website that said this

NOTE 1: In 1980 E-Z-GO used a point set & condenser instead of an inductive ignition pick-up device at the flywheel (started in 1981) to fire the spark plug. The engine looks identical to the 81 & up engine with the crank lobe the only difference. The point cam activating lobe is NOT on this crankshaft offered here. If you have the older crankshaft with the point lobe then do not order this kit as it will not work with the point set.

Now I think I notice a points lobe on the cranshaft. If its a slight bulge in one spot, then this kit has it, so thats good.

I am not finding any info anywhere about the pulsar coil in the 81-88's. So I need to hear from somebody that has rebuilt a 81-88. I am not sure exactly how the pulsar works. I am wondering if I can convert the points to pulsar and then use a HEI, I dont want to mess with points, and the whole purpose of my buying this other one was exactly that. I already bought a 79 that I was told was a 83.

So what parts make the pulsar work. Like is there somethign that goes on the crankshaft? I am assuming it works like the electronic ignition conversion kits that have a magnetic part that goes on the shaft, the the magnetic pickup that sense when it passes. Is that correct?

Here is a pick of my crankshaft

You can see the lobe in the second pic kinda easier. On the right side on the part below the taper. Where it look like its ground there, that the lobe.

I guess another option is to look for a electronic ignition conversion kit that would fit. The first part below the taper is 27.5mm, I am pretty sure thats where the lusar would pick it up also.
Scottn29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-31-2011, 07:00 PM   #2
Scottn29
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Need some help from somebody that has rebuilt a Pulsar coil 2pg completely

This would be along the lines of the conversion kit I am talking about.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Elect...item4aac9e1718

I just can not find one of those kits where they tell me the diameter of the hole in the piece that goes on the shaft. They are for old distributors I guess, so I am looking for some info that would tell me what that diameter is. I have found something that says they are 1.050". Is that part called the cam? If so it looks like i might be able to use one of those then. 27.5mm is 1.083" so possibly I can jam that on there with some light sanding from the inside of the hole on the plastic.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:09 PM   #3
rokcrlr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Need some help from somebody that has rebuilt a Pulsar coil 2pg completely

I'm not sure on the EZGO how it works , but on a briggs it fires when the flywheel magnet crosses over the legs of the coils,but the lobe should be a rise on the crank, no an indentation as in your picture,Compare the old crank to the new crank
rokcrlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:28 PM   #4
Scottn29
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokcrlr View Post
I'm not sure on the EZGO how it works , but on a briggs it fires when the flywheel magnet crosses over the legs of the coils,but the lobe should be a rise on the crank, no an indentation as in your picture,Compare the old crank to the new crank
It is a rise on the crank, I prob just didnt explain that well enough. So the magnet is on the flywheel, that makes sense. That will give me something else to look at.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:08 PM   #5
mr.ez
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thumbs up Re: Need some help from somebody that has rebuilt a Pulsar coil 2pg completely

i rebuilt my 87 years ago and i can't remember for sure but it had a notch or a pin on the inside of the flywheel to trigger the crank sensor.you could loosen 2 screws that went through the sensor plate into the side of the block and adjust the timing.it leaves the pulsar coil and goes to the igniter[module].hope this helps,sorry i don't remember more.
mr.ez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:11 AM   #6
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Scott, I think you are not only sailing into uncharted waters but on another planet's water. I can't imagine that anyone has done this before so you are going to end up with best guesses, which is what follows.

I think that you could do this although it won't be easy. First of all look at the two old crankshafts and compare them to the new one. If they are the same diameter and length you should be good. The two old ones should have a clearly noticeable lobe for the points and the new one will not. The pulsar (and I don't know why these things have stupid names) bolts onto a ring and the ring bolts to the crankcase around the bearing and seal. It is on a ring so you can adjust the timing but that is impossible as the flywheel is in the way. So you could just bolt the pulsar directly to the crankcase which is what happened after 1993. The pulsar is triggered by two metal bars embedded into the back of the flywheel. I am guessing that you will not have the correct flywheel so you will need to find that part. The engine requires the timing to be set at 20 degrees before top dead center but it is fairly tolerant so getting it about right will do. What you could do is to install the crankshaft into the cases and get the piston to stand fully up (ie TDC) now look at the relationship between the leading metal bar on the reverse of the flywheel and the woodruff key slot. Now you can subtract 20 degrees and that is where you need to mount the sensor. As for the rest you can perform the HEI mod for ~$50 and away you go.

Now for the disclaimer, I haven't done this and it is my best guess. In addition I am sure that the advice above was a lot easier to type than to do.

With regard to the points converter you found on ebay I did the same to my 63 Ford. It is an elegant solution as it looks original and connects right to the coil (as do your points). However mounting the kit to the crankcase and the crankshaft may well prove to be impossible.

I think that I would be tempted to get my money back on that replacement engine. It was clearly misrepresented as something it is not. It seems to me that all you need now is the two crankcase halves and the pulsar assembly.

I am sorry that you are going through this. I hope that someone will come up with a blown engine for you. As long as the rod hasn't gone through the crankcase you will have all you need.

Good luck man

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:49 AM   #7
Scottn29
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply Dave. I do not think I can convert it over to the pulsar system as I need the other flywheel, as this one does not have the 2 metal bars, and I can not find a replacement flywheel on the net yet. I can not find a manual for the ezgo's that talks about a pulsar coil. I have a service manual for the 1970-1990, but no mention of a pulsar in there that I can find, only points and condenser. So that only leaves me with 3 options I guess. 1, use the conversion, if it will fit. 2, rebuild it with points, but I was not having much luck finding the correct points and condenser for the 80, as its different for both than the 79 I just did. 3, see if i can find a electronic ignition 2pg for sale somewhere. I need to find out what size the hole is for the conversion on the ring that goes around the crankshaft.

Buying another cart that is the wrong year is totally my fault again. I should have known not to take the sellers word. But his was a actual store that sells new golf carts and such. I am thinking I am gonna leave a complaint on BBB website about it all.

So I am gonna look into the exact dimensions of the electronic ignition conversion kits and look for a 2pg for sale. I guess thats all I can do for now.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO