lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-12-2009, 08:48 AM   #1
Phil H
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 81 Club Car, No Go

I'm new here and to the club cars. I just bought a 81 DS club car from my brother for 150 bucks, he said the batteries were 7 years old and it probably needed new ones since the cart barely moves, its been sitting most of the year. I have a mid 60's cushman golfster with 3 year old batteries so I just swapped them out. When I hooked his old batteries up in my cushman so I could move it out of the way and start work on the club car. When I went to step on the accelerator it took off bat out of he!!, nothing wrong with his batteries. When I hooked my batteries up the club car had the same problem. I jacked the rear up and put the cart in forward and could hear all 5 of the solenoids click as I depressed the pedal, sometimes on the third click the wheels would move and sometimes it wouldn't, same thing in reverse. If I tried it again on the third click the wheels wouldn't move but if I tried spinning the wheel while holding the pedal down they would start to turn on their own but would be real jerky. I tried jumping the first solenoid but it didn't have any affect. I loosened and retighten all the connections but still nothing. I also took the covers off the motor to check the brushes and there was quite a bit of carbon dust so I blew the motor out with compressed air. If I can't find the problem I may need to take it to the guy the club uses for their car repairs.
Phil H is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-12-2009, 09:52 AM   #2
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Default Re: 81 Club Car, No Go

What did the brushes look like? Might have some issues with the motor but I'm no sparky dude!
Help will be here soon and walk you through some checks.
And Welcome to BuggiesGoneWild!!!!
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:24 PM   #3
Phil H
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

It was getting a little late and I had the cart on my back patio with limited light so I didn't get a change to have a real close look where the brushes contact the armatuer I could just see the tops and they looked like they were about even with the top of the bracket they are inserted into. I'll try to get a closer look this evening with a trouble light.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:25 AM   #4
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Also pull the wheels off and check to make sure your Brakes are not hanging !
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 02:39 PM   #5
Phil H
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Update. Got the motor off, 3 of the 4 brushes were stuck, commutator pretty well worn, brakes were stuck. Sent the motor to a local machine shop and got the commutator turned, had new brushes installed and two new solinoids. Worked on cleaning and loosening the brakes while the motor was being worked on. Got it all together last week and took it out for 18 holes this past weekend and everything is working perfect. I think the longer I drove it the better it ran, at least for a 2hp motor. :-)
Old 03-30-2009, 05:36 PM   #6
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Great news!!
Glad you are on wheels now.

So, now that is moving, what are your plans?
Old 03-31-2009, 11:39 AM   #7
Phil H
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Depends on what I can get by my wife.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:09 PM   #8
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Best thing to do is paint her name on the "drivers" side of it and tell her it's all for her!!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car