lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-19-2009, 07:07 PM   #1
hunted
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default charging poblem

i have a 95 club car 48 volt that charges when ever it wants to. right now the batteries are at 37 volt. after reading every one elses post on charging i thing my problem might be my obc but i have no clue. is there a way to by pass it to check if this is the problem?
hunted is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-19-2009, 08:29 PM   #2
Hotrod_350
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: charging poblem

I had a very similar problem with my 96...I did all the checks on the batteries, the connections, they all seemed fine. I traced it all back to the charger. There was a wire on the relay inside the charger that was rotting off and when the charger was sitting a certain way it would make contact and charge, then the next time the charger would have been moved and positioned another way and wouldn't charge. May not be the same as what you have but thought i would share my findings...
Hotrod_350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:33 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

[quote=hunted;146796]i have a 95 club car 48 volt that charges when ever it wants to. right now the batteries are at 37 volt. after reading every one elses post on charging i thing my problem might be my obc but i have no clue. is there a way to by pass it to check if this is the problem?[/QUOTE]

Okay ..... I am gonna try to disect this post 1st part is in red : We have a 48v CC that is plugged in fulltime and recharges at will 2nd part in green: 37 volts is darn low for a 48v system in fact it is okay for a 36v system these batteries should never be below 48.41 volts
part 3 is in blue: we know this because your batteries are rediculously low.....part 4 is in pink: The obc regulates charging in so much as it is a giant voltmeter with a on and off switch. Bypassing this is not going to revive your batteries !!! YOu are on the verge of battery replacement ....How old are the batteries? What are the individual voltage reading for each battery? AT 37 VOLTS they are now so low the OBC or charger can not see them and so will not respond .... There is a way to try to revive them enough to try to get the charger to respond but it reqwires a 12v charger and some very closely watched recharging ?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:44 PM   #4
hunted
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

i went back to check my batteries and found out that 3 batts are from 2002 and three of them are from 2005. thats more than likely why the charger won't turn on. time for some new ones. thanks guys for the info
hunted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:54 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I could see the pack reading was too low for the charger to see them ..... It is never a good idea to mix old and new batteries in a pack because they want to charge at different rates and the result is over cooked new batteries that soon die ..... Good luck with the new pack.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:58 AM   #6
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Good job scottyb , think the colors scared him off :)
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:03 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I wasn't trying to scare him off ... Just trying to sort out a multifaceted question....Glad he decided to investigate the old batts and opted for new
Old 02-20-2009, 08:19 AM   #8
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Yep 2002 is on the Very old side,
and the 2005's are getting to their EOL .
hunted do not do like your predessor did and just replace the OLDest.
Replace All 6 .

And to the Forum hunted
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car