lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-28-2009, 09:37 PM   #1
njcamper95
Not Yet Wild

Default best way to add lights

I don't have alot to spend right now but need to add lights what would be the cheapest but still give the best for my money should I consider getting the converter first then save up for a light kit or just add 12 volt lighting on my own was thinking maybe a pair of driving lights on front bumper and some led's for rear would a 10 amp converter allow for lights and still have enough to maybe put a radio in later? just trying to get the most for my money without doing things twice would rather invest a little more to do it right even if i need to do it in stages
njcamper95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-29-2009, 12:35 AM   #2
dcannow
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: best way to add lights

I see by your profile you have a 48V CC. You can get a 10Amp converter for 59.99 that converts 16V to 12V. For 79.99 you can get one that converts 48V to 12. Thermo protector and all. This is your best invest as you draw from the full battery block. Do a little shopping with the sponsors and you might find it for less. You should be ok to add a radio with the 10amp. but consider a 20/25 amp converter and then you can put in a microwave as well!!
dcannow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:05 PM   #3
njcamper95
Not Yet Wild

Thanks from my research so far thats which way i was leaning the 16-12 isn't much cheaper and will only end up messing up my batteries from my past little bit of electrical experience 4 yrs in high school most 12 volt wiring isn't to bad so i feel i could easily handle my own wiring and i have plenty of wire from years of wiring running lights and off road lights on my 4x4's over the years so i know basic circuits enough to make it work just was hoping for some ideas on ways to light up my cart front and rear without breaking the bank
Old 04-29-2009, 10:00 PM   #4
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

although i always reccomend to people who have 48 volt carts to use a reducer when adding lights the fact is that 9 out of 10 club car 48 volters you can get away with out the reducer running off 16 volts.....................i have seen very few that will blow a light on one side or the other but for the most part i have carts that have been running over 5 years with lights and no reducer..........now if your gonna add a radio or CD player by all means you need a reducer and its best to go with the 48 volt to 12 volt one......this way your using the entire battery pack not just 2 batteries.............
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:32 AM   #5
Pre-1898
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I got a 24V to 12V reducer on eBay. I connected 3 batteries to it, and in order to maintain an equal battery use I alternate from the first 3 to the other 3 at each battery charge. To make it easy I installed a plug on each set so all I have to do is switch the plugs when I want to.

I found 24V to 12V cheaper than the 48V to 12V
Pre-1898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:25 AM   #6
dcannow
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

1898--Now thats a switch--24v to 12v reducer. And alternate the 3 battery pac!! I never EVER thought of that. Just how much $$ did you save over the 48v to 12v, must have been plenty to go through the ongoing change process!!
dcannow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:05 PM   #7
rcdd
Gone Wild

Club Car

Another thought.....a deep cycle in the bag well to run all your 12v stuff, and not mess with the expensive 8V batteries?....
rcdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 03:48 PM   #8
Pre-1898
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcannow View Post
1898--Now thats a switch--24v to 12v reducer. And alternate the 3 battery pac!! I never EVER thought of that. Just how much $$ did you save over the 48v to 12v, must have been plenty to go through the ongoing change process!!
Save about $45 to $55 on the voltage reducer.
Pre-1898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:17 AM   #9
njcamper95
Not Yet Wild

was thinking about the 12 volt battery there is space behind the batteries that would make my 12 volt lights etc. run but then i would have to bring a charger for the 12 volt also plus added weight plus the cost of a battery verse a reducer a good deep cycle cost probably as much or more but then wouldn't effect the run time on cart this is a tough one between cost /weight/most effective to many options have to think this one out before i jump into it
Old 05-11-2009, 06:24 AM   #10
john dirt
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

buy a cheap set of fog lights from walmart then go to napa and get a 24 volt bulb with a heavy duty switch. no reducer needed
john dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car