lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-31-2020, 08:26 PM   #1
dionysis@gmail.com
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Question on using 8 leaf batteries instead of 7

I have a 2015 Club Car Precedent. I have already upgraded the controller to an Alltrax 500 amp controller, 400a solenoid, and an Admiral A2 motor. It is time to replace batteries and I have been considering going with Lithium. I know most people are going to 7 or 14 packs which approximately matches the voltage of a stock cart. However, I was wondering if 8 or 16 packs could work? What would be required to make it work that would be different than the 48v setup?

From what I have read the controller and solenoid should handle a higher voltage, but I am unsure if the motor can handle a higher voltage. However, I have not seen anyone who has done this. I searched, and unfortunately haven’t found anything which speaks to the challenges or risks associated with it.
dionysis@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-31-2020, 08:50 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Question on using 8 leaf batteries instead of 7

Even 7 modules is a much higher voltage than a standard 48V cart. (58 V fully charged) I have that controller and I forget the max rated voltage but it may only be 60V. A fully charged 8 module pack is 16 * 4.2V = 67.2V! You need a 72V controller for that.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:46 PM   #3
dionysis@gmail.com
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Ah, that makes sense, thanks for some reason I was thinking for some reason it would be lower voltage than that. I’ll move forward with 7.
dionysis@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 10:52 AM   #4
kraftzion
Not Yet Wild

I just converted my 2004 precedent from 7 to eight modules. It has the stock 3.2 hp ge motor with a high speed magnet and a Curtis 350 amp controller. So far my testing indicates that the system works better with eight modules instead of 7. The motor and controller dont even get warm when running. The only time i seen any heat in the motor was with 7 modules when i got down to around 48 volts on my mileage test. I am still awaiting my charger for 8 module configuration so the maximum voltage i have run at is 63.7. Since i will only be charging to 65 i dont think the extra 1.3 volts is going to be a problem. My testing is complete to my satisfaction, i have 2 8 packs installed on my cart. I just took the extra bars off and dropped back to 2 7 packs until my new charger gets here. Chargers are harder to find at the 8 pack level then the 7 pack.
kraftzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 10:59 AM   #5
kraftzion
Not Yet Wild

The motor and controller and solenoid are what came with the cart when i bought it, it had 4 12 volt lead acid batteries(48 volt). I installed a high speed magnet on the motor.
Old 04-04-2020, 12:32 PM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

It's not heat but excess voltage that can fry your controller. I fried my Yamaha controller with a 14S pack (7 modules is 14S) after about a month or running. It did not die all at once but started acting up. I now have an Alltrax 500 amp controller - had it for four years now. Works great with 14S. I would not even think of pushing it to 16S though. It's not rated for that much voltage.
Old 04-04-2020, 03:43 PM   #7
kraftzion
Not Yet Wild

I think you might have had a bad controller. Full charged lead acid is 52 volts, i wouldnt think another 5 volts would take out the controller. I will be finding out though as mine will see 65 volts when my charger gets here. If it quits i will let this forum know.
Old 04-04-2020, 05:06 PM   #8
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

My controller was fine until It saw 58V. (fully charged 14S is up to 58.8V )
Old 04-04-2020, 07:49 PM   #9
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

It's just a matter of time until your Curtis controller dies.

It can't survive long on anything above 60V and this came from a tech engineer at FSIP when I contacted them about my FSIP controller at the time. They repair Curtis controllers there also so he was familiar with them.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 02:35 PM   #10
kraftzion
Not Yet Wild

I just read the manual for the Curtis 1266a/1266r 48 volt sepex controller. It states on page 22 that it has a user programmable over voltage limit that can be set at anywhere between 40 and 65 volts to protect the batteries. It also states that it has a separate internal voltage limit to protect the controller electronics. I would assume that the electronics protection limit would have to be >65 volts. I am betting(obviously) that my controller has the same electronics protection limit.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car