lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-26-2020, 03:43 PM   #1
keepinitreal538
Not Yet Wild

Default Me again 😁 more questions. But getting closer

Hello again, so I think I’ve read most of the build forms by now lol. As you might know I’m trying to build a 72 V pack for a club car DS. Today I found out a VERY useful bit of information from the maker of the Curtis 72V-96V controller. And that is that the controller actually operates between 50 V and 120 V. This opens up a magnitude of different possibilities that I didn’t think were possible before. Many of which I think will simplify my build and allow me to copy in the footsteps of others on this form. My two thoughts for the direction of this build would be dependent upon which one would be better. And I need an expert opinion because I have no clue. The first would be doing an 18 module build with nine in parallel, and built into three separate packs, to fit into the three battery trays in the DS and then running them in series. So six modules per pack and using the boxes from tech direct. The second option would be Building two 7 module packs and running them in series. So if I charged to 4.1 per cell and discharge to 3.2 that would give me a range between 74 and 57.5 for the first pack which would have the 18 modules. And 114.8 and 89.6 for the pack with 14 modules. I don’t know what the difference of each pack would be as far as how it would affect the cart. If someone knows and could explain it I would greatly appreciate it. The last problem I face is finding a charger. If anyone knows of one that would work please let me know. I also am curious if I could just use two chargers for the two separate seven module packs. If I did so would I have to control them on two different BMS? And where I also have to disconnect them so they are not running in series while charging? I also remember reading somewhere that modules in parallel can discharge higher amps then just single modules. Is this always the case? Even if I don’t run it through the BMS? I know this is a lot of questions and once again I appreciate everybody’s help in educating me with all of this!
keepinitreal538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-26-2020, 05:43 PM   #2
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Me again 😁 more questions. But getting closer

You need to keep it real. It will all be fun and games until you burn your house down.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 05:59 PM   #3
keepinitreal538
Not Yet Wild

Walter, Thanks for the reply. why do you think i'm at risk of burning my house down? the build i'm describing would be the same more or less then the others here. Others have built 72V packs. Can you elaborate on the dangers I face in what I'm proposing as a build, and maybe help guide me in a safe direction? I don't have the knowledge to just build it and post pics of the process so im asking for help. I know that a 48V build would be easier but i have a 72V controller and im trying to make due with what i have.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:26 PM   #4
keepinitreal538
Not Yet Wild

Also i stated in one of my other posts im not opposed to paying someone to build one for me. or point me in a direction where i can get one built. i have called about 15 different cart shops to see if they build packs or know anyone that does. I also PMed a couple people here but got no response. Its just frustrating to me to see the people here with there wealth of knowledge and despite me reading all i can find about this stuff i still cant gather enough to come close to figuring this out on my own. i know im asking alot of "dumb questions" but that's how I learn, and im sure what im trying to do is possible so its all i got.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:48 PM   #5
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
i still can't gather enough to come close to figuring this out on my own.
What I'm saying is that unless you're a engineer and can design your own pack stick with the tried and true designs. There are two Leaf designs here. A 7 cell and a 14 cell. Pick one and go with it. Don't start thinking crazy stuff like 114.8v packs. Also you need to start building your pack not just asking questions. Just saying, keep it real not imaganary.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 09:04 PM   #6
keepinitreal538
Not Yet Wild

so the 114.8 volt pack is a 14 cell pack or better defined 2 7 cell packs run in series. like when people say there building a 48V pack but its really 58.8V because each cell is charged to 8.4V. sorry if that was unclear. if i went with that build it would be 2 48V packs in series so 96/117.6 or 114.8 as i only plan to charge to 8.2. and i wont start my build until i know what I'm doing or more importantly that what I'm doing is right and will work for what i need. if this is not the right place to ask a bunch of questions im sorry maybe someone here can point me to a place i can. I have learned a tremendous amount by reading peoples threads but unfortunately not enough to take on my build yet, as there's not much on the 72V stuff. if people can, and want to help, please drop a comment When i think i can i will post an in depth thread detailing my build start to finish with as many pictures as possible so that maybe the next guy will have it easy.
there are a couple of threads for 48V where this was done and hats off and thank you to those people.
Old 05-27-2020, 12:13 PM   #7
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

I would look at the pack for 72V... http://www.roypowusa.com/?page_id=26237#bit_vzt6u
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 06:19 PM   #8
keepinitreal538
Not Yet Wild

Brad, thanks for the link. Unfortunately their packs won’t fit in the club car DS models. Only the precedent.
Old 05-28-2020, 01:35 PM   #9
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

If you mean to physically fit, I think I've seen a number of guys have made modifications to make them fit in under the seat (battery compartment). I am going to get one and will have to make me a box for it to sit in.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car