lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-16-2009, 11:42 PM   #1
hondashadowrider
Not Yet Wild

Default 36 volt vglide with a 36volt snubber on it

Hello could anyone tell me why a 36volt snubber would be on a vglide system. I have a wiring schematic but I do not see on it anywhere anything that appears to be a snubber. I am trying to rewire this unit and make sure that it is wired correctly but the schematic does not show all the items extremely clear. Thanks for the help.
hondashadowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-16-2009, 11:58 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 36 volt vglide with a 36volt snubber on it

It would be used to prevent voltage spikes caused by the solenoid disconnecting from reaching the controller.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 12:17 AM   #3
hondashadowrider
Not Yet Wild

I see. So do they just wire across the solenoid to achieve this?
Old 05-17-2009, 08:18 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Yes, you can find tons of techy info at Alltrax.com/ Here is just a sample....

http://www.alltraxinc.com/files/Doc1...ns-Learned.pdf
Old 05-17-2009, 10:46 PM   #5
hondashadowrider
Not Yet Wild

Ok. I thank you for that pdf file. It was a very good lesson and read. I think now what I need to do is to figure out how to rewire the cart so that I can start checking out everything to find out what is bad and what is not. I bought the cart for my son to use at the country club on the golf course from a friend. The cart ran fine but the batteries were a bit weak. I bought a battery minder and started using it and the batteries got much better. Then one day here last week the cart would keep moving after the accelarator was released. I figured that the solenoid was bad and took the cart to my father in laws mechanic shop to check out and make repairs. When I started the investigation I found that there were wires not hooked up and I downloaded a wiring diagram from here and then found out that there was quite a few wires hooked up wrong so I decided to start over and make the proper repairs and connect all properly. That is when I found the snubber and did not see one on the schematic. I am not sure about all the wires on schematic due to the fact that they are not really clear on a few items. I am going to start and then will ask some questions. If you have any pointers first please do not hesitate to post a reply. Thanks.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:12 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Post what year your cart is and what speed control system you have
Old 05-18-2009, 09:36 AM   #7
hondashadowrider
Not Yet Wild

The serial number on the cart is A00-15-882465. I am assuming that it is a 1988 model from looking at the serial number. The unit has a series set up with the v-glide control and 5 resistors. The v-glide control is mounted under the driver seat side of the cart with the resistors behind the batteries across the rear of cart. A single solenoid is frame mounted in center of cart in front of the batteries with a center mounted rotating forward and reverse switch identified as a series DS cart model from previous posting that I looked at. Did I miss anything? If so let me know so that I can look again and see where it is hidden. LOLOLOL Thanks.
James
Old 05-19-2009, 11:27 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

A00 = year 2000 DS Electric. What you describe is a resistor coil speed control system. I see no need for the resistor on the contactor (solenoid). No harm in it either.
Can you post a picture of the cart....... don't know when the last coil cart was made? 2003?
Old 05-20-2009, 12:45 AM   #9
hondashadowrider
Not Yet Wild

I will post pics later this week end. I am not near the cart. I work in a different city from where I live and where the cart is at. It will have to wait until I get home on the week end. I wish I could work on it right now and send the pics but I have to do that nasty ole work thing. LOLOLOL Thanks for the response and have a wonderful day.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:20 AM   #10
oxfordlawn
just hangin' around

Club Car

My cart had that exact "square type" snubber hooked across the larger terminals also. from my research I found it to be there for the same reason newer carts have a "resistor" across the tops of their solenoid larger posts. It helps to alleviate the large arcing that goes on inside the solenoid at the contact area. This arcing leads to premature failure of the solenoid and is also a major cause of solenoids getting stuck in the "on" position. The contacts actually weld themselves together from the arcing. The resistor "absorbs" that arcing voltage which makes the solenoid contact areas very happy. Go to any radio shack and get the resistor mentioned in that alltrax pdf. file(great reading) and mount that across the top of your solenoid.
Dont worry about the diode on the smaller wires as you don't have a controller so thats not an issue.
oxfordlawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car