lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-27-2009, 11:05 AM   #1
bugboy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default IQ motor noise

IQ motor noise

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before I get started with this thread I know I am more than likely at fault.
Last week went to play in woods nudged tree with my oversized tires and popped off tierod and had to run in reverse all the way home.
Ofcoarse while backing up all the way home I got stuck in mud 4 to5 times.
When I got home took 2 days to figure out which parts were bent straiten them and finally align front end.
Then the problems started when I test drove it. it started making a loud grinding noise from rear almost like it was brakes .pulled drums and had mud
in them. so cleaned and reinstalled and retested but still had same noise.
Thought might have rear end problem or motor problem so jacked up checked to see where noise was coming from and was coming from motor and center of axle. Removed motor spun tires and no sound reinstalled motor and sound is back.
Question is ,Is motor bad or doesit need to be cleaned.If so how do you take apart to clean
bugboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-27-2009, 11:44 AM   #2
bugboy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: IQ motor noise

I guess the real question is does anyone know how I can get more torque out of the precedent. Talked to plum for an hour (man they can talk)and they say the winding are too small to get any signifcant torque. they say speed is the only way to go with the precedent .
any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-27-2009, 05:35 PM   #3
bugboy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I can't believe no one has reponded yet . so either the precedent sucks or no one has experienced a motor problem with the IQ motor.
Or the way everyone sees it is that golf carts are supposed to stay out of mud .
it must be a slow week end.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:22 PM   #4
blaynef13
Gone Wild

Club Car

i hope the part about staying out of mud isn't right....if so, i am in bad trouble. Other than that, i can't help.
blaynef13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 06:54 PM   #5
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

BugBoy said...
"Talked to plum for an hour (man they can talk)and they say the winding are too small to get any signifcant torque. they say speed is the only way to go with the precedent ."

Sargent Schultz says... I know nothing... I see nothing... (Private Joke BugBoy, no offense.)

There are motors out there from other vendors such as D&D and EMP that make Torque motors for IQ's, with NEW motors, not rewound.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shultz.jpg (3.2 KB, 96 views)
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 10:28 PM   #6
rdaystrom
Not Yet Wild

Your motor probably has muddy water in the end bearing and possibly everywhere else. If you can take the front end apart, repair and straighten it you should have no trouble with an electric motor.
I had a customer once that bought a brand new top of the line 4wd atv from our dealership on Friday. Brought it back on Monday. Wouldn't start, had no compression. Took it apart and found the engine and transmission completely full of mud and water. Cost his Dad a ton to get it fixed. (key words...cost Dad) You can't abuse any machine and expect it to not break.
You, my friend are abusing your golf cart. If you bought it and paid for it so be it. Go for it. Run into trees again. Heck sink it in a pond for a week and see if it runs when you drag it out. Take responsibility for what happens and don't blame anything on the cart.
rdaystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 10:34 PM   #7
BlackHornet
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

hes aware that what he did caused the problem, thats why he asked if he would be able to take the motor apart and then clean it. he then stated that if that wasnt possible then he would just get something else because he needed more torque anyways. lighten up on these people guys, not everybody is as knowledgeable as some and therefore that is why people ask questions. you shouldnt make others scared to ask questions because then they wont ever learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdaystrom View Post
Your motor probably has muddy water in the end bearing and possibly everywhere else. If you can take the front end apart, repair and straighten it you should have no trouble with an electric motor.
I had a customer once that bought a brand new top of the line 4wd atv from our dealership on Friday. Brought it back on Monday. Wouldn't start, had no compression. Took it apart and found the engine and transmission completely full of mud and water. Cost his Dad a ton to get it fixed. (key words...cost Dad) You can't abuse any machine and expect it to not break.
You, my friend are abusing your golf cart. If you bought it and paid for it so be it. Go for it. Run into trees again. Heck sink it in a pond for a week and see if it runs when you drag it out. Take responsibility for what happens and don't blame anything on the cart.
BlackHornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:21 AM   #8
bugboy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

hey, I don't being yelled at. believe me I work in the service industry
and seems like a lot of people get on these sites to vent being pissed at a certain customer that they want to yell but they can't because they like money. I was just looking for options but will take whatever critisim I can get right now if it gets me an answer. I not cmplaining about cart but the tree ,it has to go.All I'm saying is if your in the woods with big tires you better watch those tires or you might be walking.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:21 AM   #9
oxfordlawn
just hangin' around

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdaystrom View Post
really, what the hell was that all about. He wasnt shirking any blame, he came asking for ideas and suggestions. If you want to rant and rave about kids and not taking responsibility, go start a thread in the General BS section.

As far as the motor problem.. If muddy cruddy water made it to the bearing in the motor from being submerged, the bearing is probably at fault making all that racket. Since you have nothing to lose at this point and you are sure its in the motor...tear it apart...what do you have to lose, the motor is not any good as it is. There's only one way to learn how to take a motor apart...jsut do it
oxfordlawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:44 AM   #10
rdaystrom
Not Yet Wild

Yea, ok I was a little out of line there.(It's not like I ripped him a new one though.) I misjudged him. I can't stand it when people abuse machines and don't take responsibility. That's not the case here. I apologize. Hope you get the motor quiet. Good luck. What out for those trees. They will jump in front of you.
rdaystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car