lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-01-2009, 11:20 AM   #1
hoagie
Not Yet Wild

Default shuddering cart in forward/reverse

Electric Club Car Powerdrive 48 volt, Ser A9543. Shudders when it drives either forward or reverse until speed picks up then appears to run fine. Have been getting a continuously grinding (rolling marbles) noise in the rear end gear box. Battery light is also coming on even after full charge. I'm guessing batteries more than the rear gear box for the shuddering after reading other posts. Is there gear lub in the rear end transmission? Appears to be a filler and drain lug on one side.
hoagie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-01-2009, 02:22 PM   #2
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: shuddering cart in forward/reverse

Your Club Car is a 1995 and usually the shuddering is caused by either bad cable connections or one or more batterys going bad. Clean and check all heavy cable connections. Then take digital voltage readings on each battery and then total pack voltage and post those readings. If batterys have been just charged wait at least 1/2 hour before taking readings. Usually #5 and #6 ( DRIVERS SIDE ) are the first to go for some unknown reason?
Before checkig or refilling differential try and have cart as level as possible to make a correct reading. Yes there are a upper fluid level plug and lower one is drain, both are on drivers side of differential. Open top one and check for level to be right at bottom of plug hole. Take a piece of wire and slowly lower it into hole and find where oil level is. If you have never changed oil now would be the time, as it will give you an idea of condition? Metal flacks in drain oil means you have a real problem and now is the time to repair. It sounds like you have a bearing going out, or lack of lubrication? I have always used 30 weight motor oil in all my differentials. I use a oil squirt can to fill as it holds about 22 OZ and is very hard to get a funnel into hole.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:42 PM   #3
hoagie
Not Yet Wild

Been under the weather last couple of days and thanks for the info. Let all six charge fully and was just able today to test with digtal volt meter. Dash board battery light was still on after charging? But, went off while I was getting readings?? All read 8.2v and above with overall of 50.25V. Did not check leads to motor yet or differential oil. Will let you know findings. Happy 4th!
Old 07-12-2009, 09:23 AM   #4
hoagie
Not Yet Wild

OLD MEC,
Thanks, problem resolved, all shuddering gone. It was in the leads. Marble noises in rear end gone too. Drained and refilled- 30 wgt, dirty, but no sign of metal shavings/flack. Drained about half of what I put back in, so it was indeed real low. Squirt oil can filling worked great. Again, for the assistance.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:14 PM   #5
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Glad to be of some help with your problems. I sure hope the differential doesnt throw a bearing because of being so low. They stand alot BUT???? Time will tell.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car