lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-03-2009, 05:18 PM   #21
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Default Re: '03 IQ is a still a Nightmare

Now we sit !!!!!! and wait .........
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-04-2009, 05:22 PM   #22
]DR[puff5
Gone Wild

have you checked the wiring? check the white and the green and yellow cable going into the controller make sure those are wired right.

if you have the programmer plug it in drive cart monitor the batt pack voltage if it goes above 52 v you have the green/yellow cable hooked to where the white goes.
]DR[puff5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 05:35 PM   #23
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

it is wired right. while driving voltage on an near empty pack of 48.7 went as low as 42v when the cart cut out and back to around 46-47 when running.... Odd thing about the cart is if you start out on a hill it will accelerate smooth & hard as long as it has a hill in front of it , it cuts out at 19mph as it should then.During the hill climb the voltage never droped below 46v.. and resumes about 16mph per the manual?
I am trying to run her down a bit and reset the obc and charge from an empty pack to complete.... just to be sure the charging system is cool!
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:01 PM   #24
]DR[puff5
Gone Wild

have you had the iqdm hooked to it ?
does it have motor stall fault
Old 08-04-2009, 06:11 PM   #25
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
The cart:
2003 CC 48v IQ NEV. Not modified, Factory cart, 4 wheel brakes, Head & Stop Lights, Turn Signals, Programed Code 3, Stock Cart.
The history
Found dead on craigslist Cart was given to teenage boys by absent Father ( in lue of Fatherhood?) Boys said cart quit running while offroading in the rain. Cart had 5 8v and 1 6v Trojans. All secondary wiring had been cut up or disconnected in order to try to diagnose the problem Mom sold the cart
The Problem
THe cart begins to accelerate as normal but, when it gets to about 5 mph it drops out, like it was thrown into neutral, or the motor is shut off. If you hold the gas peddle steady it will come back on then quickly drop out again in a herky jerky sort of on/off notion.... If you stop. And start gently it will go on up to speed but, if you go down hill and it gets going fast you will find that at the bottom of the hill the on/off problem is back . If you you stop you can gently start out again as long as you do not go full throttle it will continue.... the dropping out happens at all/any throttle position...(ps: it's not the MCOR)
Diagnostics
All diagnostics for IQ carts known to myself and 2 other techs have been run resulting in a clean report from a hand held plug in computer and a controller diagnostic bench test results below....all coming up good/clean.
Troubleshooting
All batteries were replaced and wiring repaired per original diagram.... Deduction and diagnostics led us to believe that every part was suspect at one point or another. So having access to parts here is what was replaced.... The controller (twice) , The MCOR (Twice) The solenoid, the OBC, The Motor, The Speed Sensor
Conrtoller report
The Guy who I bought the New Controllers from also rebuilds them () So when I return the 1st one as defective he sent me a second which ran the cart the same.
When I asked for a third one I got this report

Good morning Scotty
I have tested the second controller you sent me back .First I tested it on the circuit board tester , no defect found , next I hooked up the programmer to look at fault codes , it showed that you had an over voltage this only means that you have good batteries and when fully charged they read over 50 volts , the next fault is the one that conserns me , it shows thermal cutback , this means that either you are climbing some extremly steep hills or the vehicle is being overloaded with weight . in the third test I cleared the fault codes and installed this controller on my test car .After several runs up and down hills I hooked the programmer back up and found no faults .I hate to say it but you have another problem with your car it is not the controller .
Please let me know what you find out I am curious .

I have tried to include everything I know about the cart and the problem.... ANY HELP is appreciated.

Have I mentioned that I HATE IQ CARTS, YET?
Yes the original read out was ngative lockout. We found and eliminated the frame attached relay behind the dash. That fixed that and the next time we had it on it it showed no faults????
Old 08-04-2009, 08:00 PM   #26
]DR[puff5
Gone Wild

Quote:
THe cart begins to accelerate as normal but, when it gets to about 5 mph it drops out, like it was thrown into neutral, or the motor is shut off. If you hold the gas peddle steady it will come back on then quickly drop out again in a herky jerky sort of on/off notion.... If you stop
have you had the iqdm plugged in when this symptom is happening?
if not need to plug this in goto monitor -look at all the readings it should tell you what is droping out.if that doesn't help check your plug in connectors to the mcor

Quote:
All secondary wiring had been cut up or disconnected in order to try to diagnose the problem
has the speed sensor wires been spliced?
Old 08-04-2009, 08:25 PM   #27
TDAWG
Gone Wild

I dont know if this will help or not but I need to tell you this. I have a fleet of 55 02 IQ's. This would be the same thing that you are dealing with. I had one that gave me fits in my shop. I replaced everything and still had a problem similar to yours. I ended up following the wires that run from the Tow/Run switch up the wiring harness toward the controller. At one point in this harness, about at the point where you start going behind the rear batteries, there is a spot where wires are heat shrinked together. There was a break in the wires under the heat shrink. I was very proud of myself for finding this one. I feel for you because I know how it feels to come across something like this. It can take alot of beer and patience.
TDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:26 PM   #28
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

No, I didn't see any cutting on those. They simply unplugged them? I have had 2 speed sensors in the cart? You would think it has something to do with motor speed or load ...... percieved or real?
Old 08-04-2009, 09:22 PM   #29
oxfordlawn
just hangin' around

Club Car

let me add my 2 cents here as well. Dont forget the clue of the headlamps dimming, this may be the clue you needed. Have you done a voltage drop test across all the main cables. Since you can recreate this problem easily, I would think of doing a voltage drop test across all the main cables to eliminate some weird cable problem. Put a voltmeters leads at the beginning and end of a cable, preferably on the stud or lug or screw head. You should see very minimal voltage running thru the meter(under 1 volt) as all the voltage should go thru the cable while operating the cart. If the cable or terminal has a problem, and the voltage finds it easier to run thru the meter(path of least resistance), the meter will show quite a bit of voltage trying to run thru it . If you get the problem to occur,and it is in a cable the meter is attatched to, you would see the voltage reading climb as the problem shows itself. remember, you have to start thinking outside the norm now. just a thought--trying to come up with some fresh thoughts--been in your spot before
oxfordlawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:30 PM   #30
]DR[puff5
Gone Wild

Quote:
while driving voltage on an near empty pack of 48.7 went as low as 42v when the cart cut out and back to around 46-47 when running
42 v is too low to operate .do you have headlights hooked to 2 batt with the volt reducer? and are these batteries original 03' ?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car