lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-14-2009, 11:12 AM   #1
tgautreaux
Not Yet Wild

Default Club Car torgue/speed question from a new member

I just bought a 2001 club car last Friday. It has new interstate batteries. It's a 36 volt cart with headlights and taillights, a 5'' lift and 22'' tires. It has a newish charger too. I bought it for tailgating at UT games. Well, it worked great this past weekend, but going up hills it only goes like 4 miles per hour. On flat ground, it goes pretty quick. What I want to know is, without spending thousands of dollars, what mods should I do to make this cart have more torque. I don't care at all about speed. I just want it to go up hills better.

I've done some research, and saw that I could get a Curtis 400 amp 36 volt controller for $260 on ebay. I called the guys at plumb and they said I could get my motor rewound for torque for $235 + the ride. If I do those two mods only, what kind of a difference would I get? Would it be worth $500? Would I notice more of a difference by selling my charger, buying a 48v charger, adding two batteries, and buying a 48v controller?

I appreciate your advice. Thanks for the help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cart1.JPG (58.9 KB, 12 views)
tgautreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-14-2009, 11:17 AM   #2
tgautreaux
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Club Car torgue/speed question from a new member

The other question is, what would it take for me, cost wise, to get this thing to where it would pop wheelies?
Old 09-14-2009, 01:14 PM   #3
willie
Getting Wild
Club Car

You can get close to wheelies with 36v but will definately have them with 48v with an upgrade to your controller, solenoid, and wires of course. Your 36v motor running on 48v will do great. You will have more speed and torque. I have a 36v club car with 6" lift, 22" lumber jacks with an alltrax 650 amp controller and can lift the fronts about 4 to 5 inches. I have about $400 in wires(2ga), solenoid, and controller.
willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:28 PM   #4
tgautreaux
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the advice. So if I just buy a 650amp controler, go to 2 gauge wires, and get a new solenoid, then I'd have plenty of torque with the stock motor?
Old 09-14-2009, 02:40 PM   #5
willie
Getting Wild
Club Car

You probably can get by with a 400a controller. I got a deal on the 650a. that's why I went with it. The torque difference from the stock 275a is amazing. Your top end speed won't change but torque is what your after anyway right? The only way to increase top end is to add voltage. Check ebay and this site. There are deals out there.
willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:16 PM   #6
tgautreaux
Not Yet Wild

Well, if anyone has something that would work for me, please let me know! What solenoid needs to be changed?
Old 09-14-2009, 03:24 PM   #7
tgautreaux
Not Yet Wild

Would this work?

http://www.cloudelectric.com/product_p/co-npx4844.htm
Old 09-14-2009, 06:13 PM   #8
tgautreaux
Not Yet Wild

Ok, well I called around and I was told that if my cart is a 36v 2001/2 model then it must be a resistor cart. I'll go home and check this. As a result, any upgrades are going to be a pain in the butt right?

What can I do? Please give some input if you don't mind. I'm just now learning the ropes!

Thanks!
Old 09-14-2009, 07:21 PM   #9
BIGDAWG
Not Yet Wild

you can change the gears in the differential.
stock is 12:1 the low speed/high torgue set is 15:1
if you can do it yourself the cost should be about
$250.00

BIGDAWG
BIGDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:43 PM   #10
tgautreaux
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the help!

I'm trying to figure out what my options are. It seems like I need a new solenoid, a new controller (400 amp), two new 6 volt batteries, a new f/r switch, and 4 gauge wires. If I buy all that and just remove all of my electrics, will that beef my cart up and allow me to run 48volts?

I know I'll also have to get a 48v charger too.

What about my headlights and taillights? Do I need to rewire those as well?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car