lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-20-2009, 07:40 PM   #11
JoseGaspar
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Club Car Charger

Lightninn, I am in no way a cart expert, but I had a very similar problem with the cart I purchased a couple of months ago. Plug in charger, hums and the meter on the charger reads 0. Drove it, and it went slow. Charged again, same deal. Thought my batteries were toast. Took to local cart guy and it turns out that a capacitor in the charger was bad. Twenty-eight bucks later I was out the door and all is been fine since. Batteries charge up nice, lots of speed (by comparison).

Not sure if this is your problem but I thought I would throw it our there for consideration and feedback from the experts on the board.

JG
JoseGaspar is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-20-2009, 08:32 PM   #12
Lightninn
Getting Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the replies. Since I've jumpered the fuse, the charger comes on and seems to be charging. The amp meter on the charger now reads 10 amps and the charger is humming louder than before when the meter read zero. It's been charging for about 4 hrs now and the meter hasn't budged off 10 amps. This normal?
Lightninn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:53 PM   #13
FortMill Jeff
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

did you get this cart from a guy in Rock Hill Sc? Is he he is probaby the same guy that burned me on my 36v cart. Charger was shot and the batteries tested OK until the 3rd charge after I bought it. then they were all reading fail. He sells his carts on Craigslist without pictures attached. Watchout for this guy.
FortMill Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 02:15 PM   #14
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightninn View Post
Thanks for the replies. Since I've jumpered the fuse, the charger comes on and seems to be charging. The amp meter on the charger now reads 10 amps and the charger is humming louder than before when the meter read zero. It's been charging for about 4 hrs now and the meter hasn't budged off 10 amps. This normal?
I could be normal. What was the pack voltage when you started? What is it now while charging and give us a reading after it shuts off (actually wait to read, 60 minutes after it shuts off!) if it ever does! I say IF because it may not if one of the batteries has a bad cell ...... keep us posted...... I would like to see the charger come down after say 6 or 7 hrs max to a low 7-3 amp finishing cycle.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:58 PM   #15
Lightninn
Getting Wild
Club Car

Update:
I went back out to the shop the next morning after staying up past midnight checking in on the charger and batteries. The last amp reading at midnight was 6 amps. When I checked on it the next morning, the charger had turned off automatically as it should.

I used the cart for 30-45 mins runtime that afternoon. It ran great. Didn't charge it that night. The next day while using the cart the batteries charge was done. I've recharged once since then and it seems the batteries are just ready to be replaced. They are 2004 batteries, so I can't complain much.

No I bought this cart from a guy in Columbia. Thanks for the heads up on the Rock Hill dude....
Old 09-25-2009, 08:58 PM   #16
Lightninn
Getting Wild
Club Car

I'll get those volt readings in a day or so and let you know Scotty.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:40 PM   #17
Lightninn
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I could be normal. What was the pack voltage when you started? What is it now while charging and give us a reading after it shuts off (actually wait to read, 60 minutes after it shuts off!) if it ever does! I say IF because it may not if one of the batteries has a bad cell ...... keep us posted...... I would like to see the charger come down after say 6 or 7 hrs max to a low 7-3 amp finishing cycle.
After using the cart for 30 mins or so, these are the readings I took.

Battery 1 thru 6 starting with the negative side battery:
1: 8.34
2: 8.33
3: 7.86
4: 8.34
5: 8.24
6: 6.09

How's that for being all over the place?!?

Looks like I have at least two bad batteries??
Old 10-05-2009, 09:30 PM   #18
Xact1
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightninn View Post
After using the cart for 30 mins or so, these are the readings I took.

Battery 1 thru 6 starting with the negative side battery:
1: 8.34
2: 8.33
3: 7.86
4: 8.34
5: 8.24
6: 6.09

How's that for being all over the place?!?

Looks like I have at least two bad batteries??

Yes, and most would agree that it is best to change all at the same time. Now, the economy being what it is, that may not be affordable. Changing at least the 2 bad ones should let the charger stabilize the pack voltage a lot better.
Xact1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:39 AM   #19
Lightninn
Getting Wild
Club Car

I've made my mind up that I'm going to replace all six of them together. If I have two bad now, it probably won't be long before I'll have problems with the others.....
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car