lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-25-2009, 07:37 PM   #11
fearless89
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: And so it begins!!!!

I was looking at some of the alltrax controllers, and some are programable some are not, and there are some other varables what does it all mean? also i have access to # 2 copper wire(thhn) not welding wire and i am comfortable working with it does any see a good or bad to this? I realize it is a stiffer cable but other than that?
fearless89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-27-2009, 10:56 AM   #12
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

If this is amplifier wire do not use.
Welders cable is for use with prolonged power use, Heat , oil and acid resistant coating.
If you think what U have will hold up try is in a easy to get to location like batteries
and see what happens.
Avoid any controllers for IQ or Precedent or that mention Regen breaking.

Since you have to buy several parts at 1 time , controller, PB6 , Heavy F/R, Heavy Solenoid.
Go to site sponsors and find a couple whom offer all you need and work out a package deal.
Site sponsors guarantee what they sell, (cant afford issues Here), several also offer discounts
to members.
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:58 AM   #13
fearless89
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

here are a few more pics! Can anyone see anything i failed to un bolt? lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bare frame1.jpg (60.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg bare frame2.jpg (59.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg bareframe3.jpg (63.2 KB, 2 views)
Old 09-27-2009, 11:03 AM   #14
fearless89
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

The wire i have is actually used in commerical wiring , servace entrance and feeder applactions. the insulation is oil and mild chemical resistant. I will ponder this some more. I have some time! thanks for the tip about trying to get a package deal and poss member discount!
Old 09-27-2009, 11:18 AM   #15
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

PS the other thing I did not mention is the higher the strand count the better( more flexible and less pressure on connectors
Old 09-27-2009, 01:08 PM   #16
impalass88
Gone Wild

Club Car

THHN wire does not have a high enough strand count. Since electricity flows on the outside of the wires you want the highest number of strands in your wire. Welding cable is the perfect wire for golf cart applications. Remember the high amperage these wires are carrying. Much more flexible and less resistance too.
impalass88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 01:41 PM   #17
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by impalass88 View Post
THHN wire does not have a high enough strand count. Since electricity flows on the outside of the wires you want the highest number of strands in your wire. Welding cable is the perfect wire for golf cart applications. Remember the high amperage these wires are carrying. Much more flexible and less resistance too.
The discussion about the electricity flowing on the outside of the wires is only a consideration
in non-dc application , like signal .

Just as much DC current will flow through a solid #4 cable as a stranded #4 cable
Old 09-27-2009, 03:05 PM   #18
impalass88
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thank you gmorrison. I stand corrected. The information I received about the electricity flowing on the outside of the wire was from a master electrician, but that doesn't mean he was right. That is why this forum is so great, so we can learn from the experts like gmorrison!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmorrison View Post
The discussion about the electricity flowing on the outside of the wires is only a consideration
in non-dc application , like signal .

Just as much DC current will flow through a solid #4 cable as a stranded #4 cable
impalass88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 03:08 PM   #19
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

He is correct for high speed applications , 60 Hz (house hold current) it is true but is negligible.

It is not often I get to espouse what little I know so I generally come off as a A55
Old 09-28-2009, 08:12 PM   #20
fearless89
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

what about compact conductor? It has smaller strands but more of them to make the circular mill area of the required conductor? I know I know try it and let everyone how it works out! but I hate being the first! Some days your the dog but most days i am the fire hydrant!lol
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car