lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-19-2008, 11:49 AM   #1
tbont_FLA
Not Yet Wild

Default 16 spline motor

Hello all, first post. I have a 88' or 89' CC (data tag is missing). I get intermittent forward and no reverse. Installed brand new batteries and wires. I took the motor off and it is a 16 tooth male spline. It's a Hitachi MT320-07. I've found one for $625 new. Does anybody know of a compatible motor that I might have better luck finding? It's for our school band and funds are stretched already.
Thanks in advance for the help.
tbont_FLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-19-2008, 01:27 PM   #2
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Default Re: 16 spline motor

Welcome to the forum tbont_FLA..................

Good Advise: Fix the part that doesnt work first.
You stated: I get intermittent forward and no reverse.

You probably have a bad Forward/Reverse Switch. For no reverse, press the pedal while wiggleing the F/R handle and see if the cart tries to go or jerks. If so take apart the F/R switch assembly and clean sand or grind the contacts back to a smooth finish. The cart will probably run fine then.

The question is, why do you want a new motor?
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 01:43 PM   #3
tbont_FLA
Not Yet Wild

Sorry, should have added more info. I took the F/W switch apart last night and did exactly that. Clean/sanded all exposed copper and connectors. I still had the same problems that I started with. Only reason I was concerned about the motor is that when I had the cart at a shop last week to get the selenoids (sp) and batteries replaced he told me that the motor was on its last legs, but he wasn't specific on why he said that. When I first got the cart two weeks ago the cart ran fine, it was slow from not being charged recently, but it ran smoothly both forward and reverse. I just assumed that the motor finally gave out. Could one of the resister coils cause this problem??
Really reaching for straws at this point.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:27 PM   #4
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Ok, No problem....... How many solenoids does your cart have?
Old 08-19-2008, 07:03 PM   #5
tbont_FLA
Not Yet Wild

Five solenoids and three resistor coils. When I step on the pedal I can hear them click, but no movement.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:26 PM   #6
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

There is a slight chance that it could be a coil. The motor on the other hand could just have bad brushes and any of these motors can be rebuilt for a about a third of the replacement costs.

Lets get some input from some of the other guys on here.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:26 PM   #7
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

This may or may not help.

I worked on a 1984 DS. Same setup. Reverse was intermittent and then forward was intermittent and finally no movement at all in reverse. All the solenoids checked out and the coils were good. Batteries were OK, all connections were clean and tight. I really struggled trying to figure it out.

I finally pulled the motor and cracked the case. It was a total carbon fest inside. (brush dust) I cleaned it all up and while I was waiting for parts I put the motor back in and the problem went away. Everything was back to normal.

Probably a shot in the dark to be sure but maybe worth checking.
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:24 AM   #8
ogre'sdad
Getting Wild
Taylor-Dunn

Welcome to the forum. Motor brushes can cause all kinds of havoc but, are fairly easy to get. If you cant't find them by the MFR. just take their measurements and the depth of the brushuh holder and find them at a motor rewind shop or online. Order the longer of any sets that are close as it is easier to size them woth a flat surface and fine grain sand paper. To decide if it is the motor, look closely at the commutator to see if it is threading, pitted or burned. A healthy comm will appear a chocolate brown, not black. Happy hunting and have fun at band camp. Randy
ogre'sdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:48 AM   #9
tbont_FLA
Not Yet Wild

Thanks everyone for their help. Just to give you an update. I took the casing off the motor and cleaned up anything that looked corroded or dirty. I put it back together and lo and behold I had reverse back. I drove it down the road and started hearing a high pitch whining. I have a pretty good incline on my driveway and when I drove up, it stopped. It started jerking up the drive slowly and when I finally got to the top, I noticed that the middle resistor was smoking. I will be replacing the resistors today.
Any clue on the whining noise??

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by tbont_FLA; 08-20-2008 at 11:49 AM.. Reason: misspelling
Old 08-25-2008, 09:44 AM   #10
ogre'sdad
Getting Wild
Taylor-Dunn

Cool Re: 16 spline motor

Good work, again the motor brushes may be worn.. as they waer the spring tension decreases so the contact on the comm is less and the brushes may chatter in their boxes. If they are worn by 50% go ahead and replace them. Not a big job but cheap insureance, just make sure the brush contour matches up with the comm. Randy
ogre'sdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car