lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-18-2020, 11:29 AM   #1
richsDS
Not Yet Wild

Default 2015 club car carryall engine swap

I bought a 2015 cc carryall with the Subaru 40ex efi. The engine Blows out white smoke out the exhaust and smells like it’s burning oil. I haven’t found much on the newer club car efi engines. I was wondering if I could pull the Subaru engine out and swap some of the parts on to a robins pull start engine and drop that in it’s place?
richsDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 04:00 PM   #2
FloridaCart
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 2015 club car carryall engine swap

First thing I would check is oil level. or maybe drain old oil completely and ad 40 ounces of new oil. Ad a new spark plug and see what you have. What kind of hours does it show ??
I personally own a 2015 Carryall 500 with same motor its a great unit.
FloridaCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 11:34 AM   #3
richsDS
Not Yet Wild

I changed the oil and spark plug already, I have under 900 hours on the carryall.
Old 02-19-2020, 01:31 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

I think you might be one of the first to do a swap in the EFI carts. The standard EX40 case is the same as far as I know. I don't know if the EFI throttle body will bolt to a regular ex40, but it shouldn't be too difficult to find or make an adapter if you need to.

Does it only smoke at start-up or does it smoke all the time?
I've read of a few of these engines washing out the rings leading to oil usage, but nothing so bad as what you describe.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 05:02 PM   #5
richsDS
Not Yet Wild

It smokes all the time
Old 02-19-2020, 05:31 PM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

I would say pull the head off and check out the cylinder walls and make sure the head gasket isn't bad, but that's alot easier said than done with this engine. This is an overhead cam engine with a timing chain and the engine pretty much has to be out of the cart to do anything beyond adjusting the valve lash.
I think it either has bad rings, or there's a problem in the head that's causing it to pull oil into the combustion chamber. I can email you a copy of the service manual if you'd like to take a stab at disassembling it.
Like I said before, I don't know if many other people have attempted making a swap with one of the EFI motors yet. I'm sure the carbed EX40 is similar, but I don't know if there are differences in the head that wold make it difficult to put the EFI throttle body on the other engine. That's the only major hangup I can see.
Worst case, you can ditch the EFI stuff and just use the carb. That would require some wiring work to make the kill switch work properly, and probably some tweaks to the governor cable.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 12:23 PM   #7
richsDS
Not Yet Wild

The Service manual would be great my email is richwj1986@gmail.com , I’ll start trying to pull this thing out. I’m gonna learn as I go, hopefully I don’t screw it up to bad lol. Thanks for your help and advice
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car