lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-11-2020, 10:58 AM   #11
Witherel
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Lithium upgrade???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denzone View Post
If you don't mind me asking, where do you live? I saw in one of your posts you mention Ocean Blvd. I am in Myrtle Beach and if you are local I would love to stop and see your Allied setup.
We actually have a place near MB state park. You are welcome to check it out. It will be later December before I get it hooked up. I will let you know!
Witherel is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-11-2020, 02:04 PM   #12
Witherel
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Update: FedEx delivery arrived today. Total of 6 boxes (4 batt, 2 blanks, charger and SOC meter). All were packed exceptionally well with thick sheets of foam. I inspected each battery and all good. I checked voltage and each appears fully charged @ 52.75v. SOC meter in working order. After inspecting, it is clear that this entire system is drop—in ready. Should be an easy hook-up in a couple weeks. I will post more later this month.

The SOC meter is designed to hook directly to the batt terminals, so on 100% of time. I’ve read that to get best reading, best to go direct and not through key. If anybody has any feedback on this, I’d welcome it. I have an analog meter through key on lead acid hookup now and thinking of continuing to use it, but not sure it will work effectively?
Old 12-11-2020, 03:32 PM   #13
Denzone
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witherel View Post
Update: FedEx delivery arrived today. Total of 6 boxes (4 batt, 2 blanks, charger and SOC meter). All were packed exceptionally well with thick sheets of foam. I inspected each battery and all good. I checked voltage and each appears fully charged @ 52.75v. SOC meter in working order. After inspecting, it is clear that this entire system is drop—in ready. Should be an easy hook-up in a couple weeks. I will post more later this month.

The SOC meter is designed to hook directly to the batt terminals, so on 100% of time. I’ve read that to get best reading, best to go direct and not through key. If anybody has any feedback on this, I’d welcome it. I have an analog meter through key on lead acid hookup now and thinking of continuing to use it, but not sure it will work effectively?
The shipping sounds good. Hope the product is as good. I like the idea of little modification as these are the same size battery. A bit pricey, but willing to pay for ease of use and setup.
Denzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 03:43 PM   #14
Adjake
Not Yet Wild

Quote:

If you are talking about the standard analog Curtis soc meter, it won’t tell you anything but 100% assuming you will never come close to dropping to 48 volts
Adjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 02:44 PM   #15
Witherel
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjake View Post
If you are talking about the standard analog Curtis soc meter, it won’t tell you anything but 100% assuming you will never come close to dropping to 48 volts
Thanks for the heads up. I’ll be hooking up the lithium’s right after Christmas and will see how the Curtis SOC meter responds - I’ll bet you’re right though and I’ll have to remove it (I can at least use existing wiring for better meter hookup). Will keep forum posted.
Old 12-27-2020, 01:55 PM   #16
Witherel
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Just yesterday I was able to get the 4 x 48v 30ah Allied batteries hooked up to my 2015 EZGO extended. The cart is lifted but has the factory motor and controller. The hookup in parallel could not have been easier. I cleaned up the bay a bit and dropped the batteries in (2 blanks in middle). In addition to the batteries, I ordered the 4 gauge wires and the recommended charger. Not a cheap setup, but could not be more pleased with the early results. I’m at 120ah and I can upgrade twice more @ 30ah for a total of 180ah, but at this point, I’m pretty sure I don’t need it.

So far, I’ve done 2 test runs. It’s cold here in MB this weekend, but I went 10.1 miles yesterday right after hookup and before I charged and balanced the batteries. Using the supplied volt meter, I started at 73% of charge and ended at 44%...a drop of 29% and achieved a top speed of 24mph. Using this math, I can expect to get ~35 miles, however, since the batteries hadn’t been charged out of the box yet, not putting much stock in it.

Today I did a short run of 6.1mi and the batteries were fully charged. After, the voltmeter still read 95% and I achieved a top speed of 26 mph. So using today’s number, I can expect to get 120mi on fully charged batteries - lol. I know I won’t get this by a long shot, but based on the 2 test runs, I will likely get somewhere north of 40mi, which is far more than I had hoped for. My 2 year old lead acid batteries were clunking on me after 5mi on the last run and the best run was about 16mi a year ago. And I am seeing improved acceleration too. Clearly the lithium are stronger and last longer.

I already had the step down converter for lights and accessories, so that was an easy hookup. Still using my existing analog meter, but will be swapping it out as it always shows full with the new lithium.

So far, so good.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:55 AM   #17
Denzone
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Just yesterday I was able to get the 4 x 48v 30ah Allied batteries hooked up to my 2015 EZGO extended. The cart is lifted but has the factory motor and controller. The hookup in parallel could not have been easier. I cleaned up the bay a bit and dropped the batteries in (2 blanks in middle). In addition to the batteries, I ordered the 4 gauge wires and the recommended charger. Not a cheap setup, but could not be more pleased with the early results. I’m at 120ah and I can upgrade twice more @ 30ah for a total of 180ah, but at this point, I’m pretty sure I don’t need it.

So far, I’ve done 2 test runs. It’s cold here in MB this weekend, but I went 10.1 miles yesterday right after hookup and before I charged and balanced the batteries. Using the supplied volt meter, I started at 73% of charge and ended at 44%...a drop of 29% and achieved a top speed of 24mph. Using this math, I can expect to get ~35 miles, however, since the batteries hadn’t been charged out of the box yet, not putting much stock in it.

Today I did a short run of 6.1mi and the batteries were fully charged. After, the voltmeter still read 95% and I achieved a top speed of 26 mph. So using today’s number, I can expect to get 120mi on fully charged batteries - lol. I know I won’t get this by a long shot, but based on the 2 test runs, I will likely get somewhere north of 40mi, which is far more than I had hoped for. My 2 year old lead acid batteries were clunking on me after 5mi on the last run and the best run was about 16mi a year ago. And I am seeing improved acceleration too. Clearly the lithium are stronger and last longer.

I already had the step down converter for lights and accessories, so that was an easy hookup. Still using my existing analog meter, but will be swapping it out as it always shows full with the new lithium.

So far, so good.

Thanks for the information... I am now noticing a power drain on my Lead-Acid pack and I am afraid the batteries are going bad because of it. As soon as I find what is causing it the Lithium will be my next upgrade...
Denzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 09:33 AM   #18
texmeth
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

So I just tried the Dakota Lithium in my 2012 Ezgo TXT 48v and it seems I have run into a problem that a few others have when searching around. Upon acceleration for me it trips the BMS in one battery, which shuts the pack down. Some have reported the same problem when going up hills. I am sending them back today and will look at Allied or Roypow. Does anyone know if this issue will appear with those packs? I have the stock controller and motor, but my cart is lifted with 23inch tires.
texmeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 02:25 PM   #19
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

I have the Roypow 105ah and have pulled up some pretty steep hills with no trouble, but I do not have 23" wheels.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 07:21 PM   #20
jtech
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

texmeth, is it possible that the regen is causing your problem? I have read that some of the BMS systems of certain lithium batteries will shut down because the regen isn't handled properly. This is one of the reasons I went with a Reli3on Insight package. They seem to have resolved the regen issue. I've been running a 4 Insight battery system for going on 2 months and have had zero regen issues or any issues with my Yamaha cart on some pretty steep hills.
jtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO