lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts
Gas golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-09-2010, 12:11 AM   #1
MNTravis
Not Yet Wild

Default Engine shaft question... HELP!

I need some advice here!! I got my brand new Honda GX670 for my custom cart the other day and finally got around to messing with it. UNFORTUNATELY when I put the clutch on and sat the engine up on the frame of the kart it became quickly evident that the driven and drive clutches were way off from lining up with each other. What it comes down to is the fact that the shaft on the Honda is 3.5" long and with the way the inner shaft of the Comet clutch driver clutch is built, it only takes in 1 9/16" of the shaft before it bottoms out and will not go in any further. So then the clutch sticks way out and there is no way I could line up the two clutches even with the engine pushed all the way to the right as far as it can go without interfering with the suspension/rear wheel. See the pictures attched.

The immediate option that came to mind was that if I simply cut off 1 3/8" of the shaft, the clutch would then fit on correcty and allow the two clutches to then line up. There would be 3/4" of internal thread remaining on the inside of the engine's shaft and there would be exactly the right length of key left on the shaft for the clutch. Just makes me nervous to start hacking up a factory new engine, but there doesn't seem to be any other choice if I ever want to be able to use the engine for this kart! I assume I could use my portable metal cutting bandsaw (or even a hacksaw if I had to), although the shaft is 1 1/8" thick of hardened steel, the inside is drilled out to 7/16" so it would probably no be too bad of a job to cut it off??

Have you ever cut one of these things off or know if there are any possible problems in doing such?? I am looking for any advice I can get before I make an irreversible move!! What do you think? ANY ADVICE IS APPRECIATED!

MNTravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-09-2010, 09:22 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Engine shaft question... HELP!

Great pics ...... I'll say cut it off.... but, wait and see what others say first

P.S.
What exactly are you building there? More Pics?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:32 AM   #3
BigBlockMan
Gone Wild

I would not cut it. Your putting on a clutch from someone thats no longer in buisness. Replacement parts are not available. Lets say your clutch breaks there is no new replacement. Sell it and buy a straight shaft clutch that will fit the motor, One you can buy replacement parts for.
BigBlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:08 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlockMan View Post
I would not cut it. Your putting on a clutch from someone thats no longer in buisness. Replacement parts are not available. Lets say your clutch breaks there is no new replacement. Sell it and buy a straight shaft clutch that will fit the motor, One you can buy replacement parts for.
See......... I told you to wait for sounder minds

How about some more pics of this contraption
Old 05-09-2010, 11:59 AM   #5
kevinandrew
Gone Wild
Club Car

what's going on with jack shafts???? why not just move them around? what is this in? doesn't look clubcar or ez go. looks fun.....probably fast. like the disk brake set up. more pics please.
kevinandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:33 PM   #6
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlockMan View Post

I would go with what Tom said

get a new clutch -----and sell that one--

And tell us more about that cart
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:31 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Maybe it is not a cart..... maybe it is a secret project?
Maybe it is a gold separator
Old 05-09-2010, 02:48 PM   #8
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Maybe it is not a cart..... maybe it is a secret project?
Maybe it is a gold separator
I seen one of them once --only one

scottyb you know your not to be talking about them---
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 03:21 PM   #9
kevinandrew
Gone Wild
Club Car

maybe, it's a lunar rover????? my best guess is that it is really a money seperator. it's sole purpose is to seperate you from your money. ok. enough. more pics.
kevinandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 04:53 PM   #10
MNTravis
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Great pics ...... I'll say cut it off.... but, wait and see what others say first

P.S.
What exactly are you building there? More Pics?
I know its not a kart in the terms of most of the content of this site, but the advice here is generally spot on so I bend the rules a little. Besides, they use the same engines, wheels, and lots of the same parts! To answer your question, it is a Shredder II, I have been building it over the winter and I am getting close, so close I may need to take a sick day this week to get even closer! The engine is a Honda GX670 with a Comet 94c/90d clutch combo, besides the engine, the most expensive thing by far on the kart is the suspension so I hoping for a great ride out of this thing!! It will be amost fully body paneled and eventually I will put in a removable windshield so I can extend the riding season a bit up here in frigid Minnesota!!

MNTravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts