lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-11-2008, 07:32 PM   #1
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default 89 a good year?

Looking to get a gas cart.....for obvious reasons. Found a 1989 that was owned by little old man and had service come to his door regularly. Old man died, cart $1500. Is it a good runner stock? How about to big block? Same Kawasaki 12.44 : 1 as my 89 electric? Is it priced too high? Thanks in advance, Scottyb
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-11-2008, 07:39 PM   #2
azboo
Super Moderator

Club Car

Default Re: 89 a good year?

My first CC was an 85. It had the flathead motor which I assume this one does too. It's not much of a motor. The good ones started with 92 I believe..where is NONO when I need him... but it's a perfect cart to big block. I was going to do that with my 85, but I bought a 94 instead. Took the good Kawi motor out of the 94 and put it in the 85 and big blocked the 94. Nice thing is they don't change much in the looks department. The 85 ran great with the Kawi OHV motor in it.

Boo
azboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 08:50 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Thanks, Azboo. So it is probably a gutless wonder....9 or 11 hp? I do remember Nono saying something about pre 96 being easier to bigblock? What about the rear end then inthis year. Nate told me my electric 89 had a good Kawasaki rear. Are they the same? More please.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:21 PM   #4
azboo
Super Moderator

Club Car

According to NoNo it was 9hp. The flathead was a dog. 92 to 96 were the good years for CC with the Kawi OHV motor. When we put that in the 85 it really zipped around. Sold the old flathead to a guy for his pit cart. He didn't need speed. After 96 the rotation changed and the install for the big block is different. You would have a perfect candidate for a big block with an 89 and could probably pick up afew bucks from the old motor. Talk to Tom at CPP. He'll be able to tell you exactly what you need. And remember, I really don't know much about all this. Just what I've learned from Tom at CPP and my Tom. We have another one of those old flatheads sitting here in a cart I bought for the frame. We will probably just sell the cart with it in it. It's fine for alot of folks. It got me around town pretty good and even took it to the dunes afew times.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:39 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

What are they worth in your area? 1500 seems like alot.....but gas carts are more than elec.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:03 PM   #6
azboo
Super Moderator

Club Car

1500 seems kind of high for the year. If it's totally stock, no lift etc. I paid $1400 for my 85 but it was lifted had nice tires and rims, brushguard and rear tube bumper and carbon fiber dash. It was a nice cart but had a tranny problem so the guy was scared of it and sold it cheap. Turned out to be a cheap fix. I got very lucky. I wouldn't pay that much for a stock cart that old. Another $500-1000 could get you a newer cart with some bells and whistles. I think the market is pretty much the same here as where you live.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:07 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Yeah, guess I wanted to hear some one else say it. I do tend to get a little cheap sometimes....I'll keep looking for that illusive 4 stroke cart with the blown motor!
Old 02-11-2008, 10:45 PM   #8
azboo
Super Moderator

Club Car

Keep an eye on Craigslist. That's where I found all of mine. The latest one I picked up for $500. I stole it. It had the old flathead motor, but it also has spankin' new tires and rims worth what I paid for it and coil overs and a lift. I threw a price at the guy and afew days later he got in touch and told me he'd take it cause everyone just wanted to part it out. You have to check that list every day though and more than once. And be ready to go and buy it if you find a good one.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:17 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You are preaching to the choir, Azboo. I've checked twice today and will again before I sign off. Bought my 89 CC for 300 w/ new brakes and tires. But the darn gas cart owners won't give them away so easy. Now you can buy cheap electrics that need new batteries for next to nothing because batteries went up. But I switched both of mine to 48v and it just isn't enough . Did you see the videos of tungpo1's harley cart on the other site? What the heck motor is in that?
Old 02-11-2008, 11:39 PM   #10
azboo
Super Moderator

Club Car

Don't know. You'd have to ask him.. but I think he's had afew things worked on besides the motor. It's a fast nice cart.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car