lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-10-2010, 03:40 AM   #1
Naragah
Not Yet Wild

Unhappy G9 Knocking after rebuild

Hi all,
just got my g9 rebuilt new rings, piston, seal, conrod bearings etc motor started straight away. everything went together well.
Now for the drama there is a knocking/tapping sound that sounds a bit like valves tapping but they are set correctly.
The clutch is good I am guessing that the balancer that goes onto the crankshaft is not lined up.

I know there have been similar posts to this in the past but most have investigated this issue or suggested that the balancer alignment is that prob but none that I have seen actually have posted if this was the fix or not most posts just end so I am guessing/hoping that this is the fix.

I just don't want to pull the motor out do the balancer and find out it wasn't it.

Oh the other reason I suspect its the balancer was when my engine builder pulled the motor down he remarked that he thought it was one tooth out! He said that he put it together the way it should go and it looked ok to me .....any thoughts
Naragah is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-10-2010, 10:01 AM   #2
chompy
Getting Wild

Default Re: G9 Knocking after rebuild

A lot of time the hole where the balancer goes gets worn beyond its specs. It will make knocking noises. Unless you take it out and measure the clearances as shown in the manual you may never know if that is where your problem lies.
chompy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:44 PM   #3
Tonka329
Smoov az a gravy sammich

Yamaha

I agree
Tonka329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:17 PM   #4
G2Rebel
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Can you run them w/out the balancer?
G2Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:56 AM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

You might be able to tell with a stethoscope or similar listening device. The loudest spot should be the case where the shaft is, though I've not tried it on one of these but should easily tell the difference from valve stuff to block stuff.

I think you can run any of them without the balancer it just takes vibration out. Engines don't care about that, and the balancer takes power to run racers always take them out. It might vibrate/shake more at certain rpms though. That is providing the balancer does not do anything else like run the cam.

IIRC, there is no bearing on it, it runs on the case so when it wears your screwed. This is why I would never trade my engine for a rebuilt one that might be bad there. I imagine you could sleeve or bush it with some work but not heard of it. On the other hand they run that way for some time, they just knock. After the hassle of installing a 16hp clone I can see why some people rebuild. Still have a carb mix issue at low speeds to figure out. Problem was fabricating all the intake and exhaust, the mounting was the easy part. The clone is exactly opposite the yamaha with the cylinder in the rear over the trans. And I had a full welding shop, drill press, steel saws, etc.

You might be able to run 10-40wt oil and help it a little, or it might not make a difference, if its the shaft.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:08 AM   #6
Naragah
Not Yet Wild

problem solved the balancer was one tooth out thanks for your help
Naragah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:16 AM   #7
Tonka329
Smoov az a gravy sammich

Yamaha

Awesome dude!!
Tonka329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:10 AM   #8
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naragah View Post
problem solved the balancer was one tooth out thanks for your help
Sux you had to tear it down again, but glad you got it solved!
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:03 PM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I would be so happy it was not the shaft!
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:37 PM   #10
big mule
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
I would be so happy it was not the shaft!
I agree,I would rather tear it down & re-assemble it twice than to have a worn out block or shaft Glad you got it going Naragah!!
big mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha