lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-15-2013, 09:59 PM   #1
Dirk
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Ouch! Finally pulled it apart

Well.. I finally got around to pulling the top end off and there you have it! The bottom of the piston has broken off!

Now.. with all the little pieces that are in the bottom of the crank case I assume the correct way to fix this is to pull the motor, take the crank out and have the case cleaned out before replacing anything.

Anyone have a better idea??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20130515-00412.jpg (161.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20130515-00414.jpg (190.5 KB, 0 views)
Dirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-16-2013, 08:01 PM   #2
Dirk
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Ouch! Finally pulled it apart

Well if no one has any thoughts I guess pull everything out and cleaning out the crank case is on the to do list!

Anyone else ever had this happen? Would at least like to figure out why and make sure that it doesn't happen again. At least the cyl wall still looks decent. Figured it would have been in bad shape.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:13 PM   #3
TRP
Gone Wild

Yowza! I would think there would be damage to the rod bearings and or the case. Yes a total tear down is in order. My guess is that you'll need to bore the cylinder and have the crank inspected.

Good luck!
Ted
TRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:35 PM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Hopefully the crank is ok. You'll need to pull it all apart and inspect everything with a magnifier, look closely for gouges, scratches, funny wear patterns, and discoloration. If the crank and rod look good then you might have gotten lucky and the parts stayed at the bottom when they broke. I've seen 2 stroke bikes and chainsaws break like that before, but never a G1. Guess there's a first for everything....
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:44 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I know a guy had a piece missing and he ran it that way for some time. It would only run with the choke to get it going. Yes need to flush it out. If not run it may be fine.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:41 AM   #6
Dirk
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Thanks guys! Kind of what I figured. I'd rather do it the right way and hope it's able to be cleaned up and repaired.

I did find something while looking it over yesterday. The fuel line on the gas tank is broken. I really didn't pay attention to this back when it stopped running or even before I pulled the top end.

Surely if the engine was only getting oil instead of an oil/gas mix it would just stop running and not cause something like this? Long shot but just figured I ask for more input.

Obviously, have a few things to work on before this is running again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20130518-00415.jpg (193.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-19-2013, 12:38 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Most likely that piston was used for maybe 3 times the lifespan it was engineered for. If it was not run broken; it was shut down when it broke, then pieces may not have damaged anything in the crank you can just flush it. If it ran for a while then who knows. No gas it would stop running pretty fast. 2 stroke pistons are light weight but take a lot of abuse, they just don't last forever and G1 are not young carts. If it leaned out and was run hard the piston will melt at the exhaust port and score the cylinder there, however not sure a G1 would do this since they are relatively low power output they just don't get that hot at the piston/exhaust port.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha