lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-20-2011, 12:57 PM   #1
Jmax207
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default New G2 Owner with Lots of Questions and Issues

Hi Guys,

Man am I glad I have found this site, it has been a tremendous help and educational tool.

I purchased a 1990 G2 (determined with serial number) that is lifted and running on ATV tires. My avatar is a picture of the cart. The seller claimed to be a master of all golf carts and he and his sons had added the lift kit and done the modifications. I am trying to figure out of they truly were scientists of carts or more likely mad scientists. There are a few issues I would like to start with and any and all answers would be appreciated.

I will also note that I am not mechanically inlcined at all but do have a thirst to learn and a nice family I am marrying into who can help when I get stuck:)

Issue 1 - Battery. The seller told me I needed to leave the battery on a trickle charger bc the starter generator does not charge. He told me he took it apart to repair but there was a part ( i do not recall name) that could not be repaired, only replaced. So obviously in all my fun I DID NOT put it on the trickle charger and it died on me out in the woods. I went to Walmart and bought a new battery and put it in to get home. My plan was to have 2 batteries in there in case one dies but my Dad told me there should be a car battery in there, not a lawn mower type one that is in there now. Which should be there? Does the Yamaha draw power down when just sitting? (Key is stuck on On) Does it draw down power when riding or only during startup?

Issue 2 - Air Filter - The seller has put an air filter on the top of the motor, just under the seat. The connection to the stock air filter box is not connected..does this make sense? Ever heard of this? Should I reconnect the air filter box? I can take pics if needed.

Issue 3 - Backfire - The cart will backfire/pop sometimes. I called the seller and he told me that bc of the lift system and getting more power out they made an adjustment, prob to the carb I think, that he said will cause backfire if I put the accelerator all the way down and then come of it fast. As the motor slows and winds down a backfire will come. It does seem that if I get the accelorator all the way down and then just ease of slow it will NOT backfire. I dont want to be backfiring all through my neighborhood so any ideas on how to reduce this? I saw posts about the plate being closed all the way but thought I would ask before I fiddle with it.

Issue 4 - High Speed Wabble - When I am going downhill and a good clip the front end seems to shake and wobble a bit. Doesnt feel safe, any ideas? What should I check or tighten? Again, it is lifted.

Issue 5 - You guys think I can reduce the steering column length? Gonna hit me in the family jewels.

Otherwise I was seeing on youtube a video on a tune up and was thinking that may also be a good start for me to become familier with the machine and learn a bit.

My plans are to eventually paint in, add a rear flip seat and just have some fun.

Thanks in advance for all your help. I know I will have a lot to learn.

Thanks

JMax207
Jmax207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-20-2011, 01:50 PM   #2
Dlcain
Gone Completely Insane

Club Car

Default Re: New G2 Owner with Lots of Questions and Issues

Issue 1) Looks like G2 specification calls for a group 24 battery which is used in automotive applications and may be used in tractor applications as well. dimmensions should be 6 3/4 x 10 1/4 x 9" high

Issue 2) Not sure about this one? The owner may have disconnected the box and attached the air cleaner directly to the carberater? May be why your getting a popping noise on deceleration.

Issue 4) check your toe-in: With the front tires straight ahead, measure the distance between the front of your front tires compared to the rear of your front tires. the tires should be "toe'd in" (shorter distance in the front) by .40 - .80" for fully loaded according to the G2 specs. (I set mine to a 1/4" and it tracks just fine with the lift and larger tires).

Hope this helps :)
Dlcain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:42 PM   #3
Jmax207
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I spoke to the seller after your post and he told me he has used regular batteries, lawn tractor and marine in here. I think I will add a new full size one as you mentioned.

He said he disconnected the air filter box bc the angle of the engine from the lift caused the oil to flow into the air filter box. He said that what looks like full on the dipstick is now overflowing bc of the angle of the engine from the lift. Does that make sense?

The 2 front tires are turned in quite a bit, I will measure them when I get home tonight. The seller told me that bc of that it will wobble at higher speeds, especially down a hill. Does that make sense?

Lastly he told me it backfires bc they made adjustments to the throttle linkage to create more rpms and bypassed the rpm governor. He said for this reason some gas will get into the exhaust sometimes and backfire. He said there is nothing I can do for this. Does this make sense?

Does anyone think I should do a tune up?

Also does fuel additive or octane boost do anything to help or hurt the cart?

Thanks

JMax207
Jmax207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:29 AM   #4
Dlcain
Gone Completely Insane

Club Car

From what you said, it sounds like the previous owner may have put to much oil in after the lift, and when that happens you will see the overflow go into the air filter. If I were you I would hook the air filter back up to its original possition, jack the back of the cart off the ground about 6" and check the oil level. Either that or change your oil and put exactly 1qt back in. You won't see the oil on the stick unless you jack the cart up, but from what I've read on the forums, the cart will run just fine with the lift.

I'm not sure what to recommend for the backfiring? I've seen some other threads that address this problem though. I've decided to leave my govenor hooked up and adjusted it as high as it would go (no backfiring problems). For me, the power and speed is just fine since I have grandchildren that only know one speed....lol Hope this helps
Dlcain is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha