lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-25-2011, 09:18 PM   #1
Cart Rover
Not Yet Wild

Question G2 Smoking..

Well here is what I have, I purchased this 1986 Yamaha G2 and it smokes, a lot. Here is what I have done so far...

1.) Checked Oil level : WNL

2.) Checked Valves : .004

3.) Took the oil fill cap off with engine running: very positive pressure

I did not do a compression test, after taking the oil fill cap off no real point

I went begging for a manual with no real luck yet so I may break down and buy one. But I have a few questions hoping someone could while I am awaiting a book.

a.) Is the piston in a jug? or Sleeve? (picture please )

b.) Do I have to split the case to do this?

c.) Parts, how do I know if in need over-sized rings or standard size?

d.) Whats a good source for these parts?

Been a very long time since I poked around inside an engine, Whats the expected time to re-ring also do I need to pull the engine out?

Thanks in advance..
Cart Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-26-2011, 07:05 AM   #2
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Default Re: G2 Smoking..

Check the air filter box and see if it is full of oil. Also see if the oil in the engine smells like gas.

spriddle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:16 AM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

If there is over 1qt in there it will puke the oil into the airbox. You can as posted above have the float leak and fill it with gas that will cause oil smoke and very bad for engine.

What usually happens with these is the oil ring goes bad first and it still runs ok, still has compression or enough to run ok. But yes it smokes. The cylinder is one with the block, the side of the crankcase is a cover that comes off to get everything out. A shop needs to be able to bore an angled cylinder block like this but they are common in lawn engines and others. You can re-ring but unless the bore is new you will get lots of blowby.

I'd say compared to a car these are simple to work on, you can have the entire engine out in no time. You need pullers for the clutch and flywheel, I think are the only special tools needed to get it apart?

If you question the oil I would first change the oil and dump 1qt in, then verify it still smokes with a good air filter in there. If it does its likely rebuild time. If you get a bunch of blowby leave the little hose from the rocker cover off the airbox, that will make sure its not blowing oil in there.

You can go to the TNT golf cart site and look up parts for your engine, it will show a diagram of it to give you an idea what things look like.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:32 AM   #4
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Sho these things really huff and puff when the filler plug is removed.
I would do a compression test.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:34 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The fill plug? I was always afraid of it spraying me if it was off while running lol. Mine is starting to smoke just a little, mostly up a hill at low speed and full throttle. I better have a clone by next spring or else!
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha